Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

4l60E PROBLEMS!

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2013, 12:00 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, a 4L60E, that's a lot like the THM400, isn't it?

Last edited by therewolf; May 7th, 2013 at 1:18 AM.
Old May 5th, 2013, 12:00 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by Allan In NE
First, sorry for ruining your post.

Clear all the codes to clear the ECM memory, then drive the truck until the problem occurs. Pull the fresh codes again and report back as to which are set?

Allan

Good job Allen. Why would you want to clear the codes again??? I would store them and get any new ones as well.

Last edited by therewolf; May 7th, 2013 at 1:18 AM.
Old May 5th, 2013, 12:01 PM
CF Junior Member

Hoping best of luck. My thing is go the route you like though but I am only offering advice and reason to do what I say. My way saves you money and headaches of being wrong down the road.

Last edited by Brok; May 5th, 2013 at 12:17 PM.
Old May 5th, 2013, 12:13 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by Serpent
Wire harness. Trust me.
I would do testing first before jumping out and buying a new wiring harness just to find if or if it isn't the problem. If you don't know how to test wires I can gladly assist you in that and walk you through it.
Old May 5th, 2013, 12:14 PM
CF Junior Member

Could be the wiring harness but still doesn't rule out the possibility you got a faulty transmission. I used to do auto work and know some of the things they pull and side step. 4th clutch burn is what it tells me with a few other possibilities. But if I was him I would start by checking all the wiring harness wire ends. From there if it ISN'T since you don't know for a fact your only making assumptions. Since stated through ASTG that 3-4 clutch burn is what the problem he is looking at. He can still have a faulty 2-3 shift solenoid which is locking him out from 3rd and 4th possibly too. You will not know until he has testing one problem then the next. Wiring harness is just saying that you know for a fact it is which you can not know for a fact. How can you state it is the wiring harness without diagnosing it first though which is what I am telling him to do. I have my masters in Electronics and I can assist him on how to test the wiring harness before he ends up buying a new one to find that is not the problem. I am not saying it isn't but I am saying don't just assume wiring harness and go buy one yet. Properly test the wiring harness first. If the wiring harness is ok. Then the problem lyes elsewhere which would be 4th clutch burn up which is a common problem since the 4L60E was notorious for that or he could have a bad 2-3 shift solenoid, which is the easier fix other than the wiring harness.

Last edited by Brok; May 6th, 2013 at 1:35 AM.
Old May 5th, 2013, 6:45 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

Is this merely a wiring issue?

Last edited by therewolf; May 7th, 2013 at 1:20 AM.
Old May 5th, 2013, 8:27 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Geez.....
Old May 5th, 2013, 9:11 PM
CF Beginner

I can tell you right now by Occam's Razor. I think it's the wiring harness. If he changed transmissions and it's doing the same thing, it's electrical, not mechanical. It's just my thought though, I could be wrong. I've seen that a few times before though. It only makes sense.
Old May 6th, 2013, 1:08 AM
CF Junior Member

tech2
CF Pro Member
I can see you never read the entire post. I never disagreed with Serpent I just said don't rule out all possibilities. If you read earlier way earlier I say he should diagnose the electrical part of the harness and then look at the other. But thanks for your input. Not needed here if your going to be a *****.
Old May 6th, 2013, 1:25 AM
CF Junior Member

Talking

Originally Posted by 00derek
I bought a 97 chevy 1500 4x4, "needed transmission". simple right?
I got a used tranny, put it in and had no shifts and no speedo. bought another tranny, put it in, same problem. Brought truck to local aamco and they notices my VSS wires had come undone, and that fixed my speedo and shifting, so it seems. Now i only have 1st and 2nd, and reverse. 3rd seems like its in neutral or back to 1st gear.
so after aamco told me this, i swapped the tranny again, and still same problem. good 1st, 2nd and reverse. but 3rd feels like neutral. please help me, i would hate to pay for a rebuilt tranny and have to do this a 4th time if not nessessary
He stated he got a USED TRANNY, quotes to say I bought another tranny, which I would assume REBUILT not REMANUFACTURED since he quotes " put it in, same problem." Then goes on to quote "Brought truck to local aamco and they notices my VSS wires had come undone, and that fixed my speedo and shifting, so it seems." Now he is clearly stating that it was fixed so it seemed which sounds like a REBUILT TRANNY. FAULTY 3-4 clutch burn or 2-3 shift solenoid has not been ruled out! Has he stated the wiring harness is bad or good yet?? As far as I can tell no. So why are you ganging up on me less your 4 senior members that hate it when you just got stepped on and realized your not as smart as you think you are. I never said do not test the electrical but I actually have already looked at the wiring diagram for the 4L60E transmission. I just would wait for him to get back and let everyone know what it is before you attack me for no reason. All I did was agree with serpent. yes check the wiring harness and see if any if he is getting proper voltage and resistance each transmission prong input. Just remember if it isn't the wiring harness and all these talk and slam at me. Going to look really bad on you guys for attacking me for trying to help him and just give him general ideas of what to look at. The 3-4 clutch burn is notorious in the 4L60E transmission though and a sticking solenoid is not uncommon. You can still drive with the 1-2 shift solenoid (A) even though your 2-3 shift solenoid (B) fails. You may not obtain 3rd gear or 4th but you can drive on it and it is not recommended. If I am wrong though gladly point it out. I am sure if you do some research though you might end up learning some new everyday. Just a little advice friends.

Last edited by therewolf; May 7th, 2013 at 1:32 AM.

Quick Reply: 4l60E PROBLEMS!