Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

4L60E problems

Old December 17th, 2014, 7:46 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The best thing to do is drive it like a standard shift until you can pull this trans back out. Gary
Old December 17th, 2014, 8:15 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a second car, truck has been sitting for almost 8 months because i couldnt figure it out. trans will probably come out tonight. hopefully i can find the parts local and get it fixed. but i do have the correct parts listed in those links to ebay, right?
Old December 17th, 2014, 8:24 AM
CF Junior Member

Hello,
Sorry i dont see the link, but if there is a transmission shop around where you live, they should be able to get the parts for you(just a thought), Basically you the low sprag and you may want to up date the input sprag.
Tip, Sprags rotate one way and lock the other way, make sure you check rotation. the low sprag i believe will only go in one way, the input sprag can be put in backwards. Gary
Old December 17th, 2014, 8:29 AM
CF Beginner

<hr style="color:#000000; background-color:#000000" size="1"> so this is what you're talking about when you say the low sprag?

TH700 R4 4L60E 4L65E 4L70E Low Roller Sprag Borgwarner 87 Up Wide Design | eBay

and this for the input sprag?

TH700 R4 4L60E 4L65E 4L70E Sprag Forward Clutch Borgwarner 29 Element | eBay
Old December 17th, 2014, 8:40 AM
CF Junior Member

Yes, correct parts and borgwarner too.
Gary
Tip, When you get the center support out there is an antirattle clip, make sure that goes back in, it keeps the center support straight. Did you tear the trans down all the way the first time?
Old December 17th, 2014, 8:43 AM
CF Beginner

Yeah I did. One thing I did I wish I wouldn't have was leave those 6 spring clips in, I've heard they should be removed. I'm not sure i know exactly what you're talking about, I don't seem to remember that but like I said it was march or so when I originally rebuilt this. I've done tons of motors but very few auto transmissions. Not real familiar with them or the terminology.
Old December 17th, 2014, 9:55 AM
CF Junior Member

Hello,
Those springs your speaking of are the load release springs that go around the 3-4 clutch. I put them back or leave them in depending how high the top plate sits, On the early units if those are left out your techincally supposed to drill a hole in the seperator plate, i always update to a transgo plate because the checkballs beat up the plate and the hole is already drilled out. Transgo plates are by year not one fits all.
The anti rattle clip im speaking of held in by the center support against the case, its a u-shaped squiggy thing. If its left out you will feel a slight bang when you stop because the center support is shifting and banging against the case. Gary
Old December 17th, 2014, 10:25 AM
CF Beginner

Yeah I do seem to remember that anti-rattle clip now that you describe it. It's still in there. I'll probably just leave those other spring clips in, they didn't seem bad and the trans lasted 208000 miles with them so I figure it should last until the truck dies (which if those sprag clutches don't fix it, it will probably be sooner than later haha)

Thanks for all your help Gary, I will keep updating this post as I get work done on it.
Old December 17th, 2014, 10:43 AM
CF Junior Member

Your welcome, yes keep me updated. Gary
Old March 20th, 2016, 3:35 PM
CF Beginner

GSferarro, Hi. I'm Frank. I am having an issue with my transmission as well. I believe it is with the torque converter. I for some reason cannot post a new thread but you seem to know an awful lot, so I was wondering if you could email me or if I can ask my question on this thread? My email address is fsfugitiverecovery@gmail.com. Thanks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4L60E problems