Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

4L60E Transmission issue.... 1993 Silverado

Search this Thread

Old March 21st, 2011, 12:15 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 4L60E Transmission issue.... 1993 Silverado

All,
I purchase a 1993 Silverado 1500 with a 350 and 4 speed 4L60E auto transmission. When I bought it, the previously owner told me that he was using the vehicle regularly until one day the transmission stopped shifting all together. Meaning no forward or reverse in any gear selection. The vehicle sat about 3 months before I purchased it.

I purchased the vehicle for a fair price knowing of the issue with the idea to work on it come spring. Well I have begun working on the transmission and I found the manual valve (inside the transmission), which is connected to the gear selection mechanism (internal and external) completely disconnected and basically hanging from the valve body extremely extended. It appeared like it slipped out or was internally forced out. The pan had not been open, at least not recently and the fluid was clean with no foul smell.

I slid it back in and reattached the manual valve to the external selector mechanism and put everything back together with new fluid, filter, etc and all seemed well. Forward and reverse seemed to be there but I noticed that the park\Reverse location on the cab gear shifter/selector seemed to be a little off compared to the read out (P,R,N,D,D,2,1). Anyways that did not bother me much as I have had more then a few vehicles where I had to "feel" where each gear is at. I drove the vehicle around my drive and yard, never making anything higher then maybe 1st or R... but any gear I was now in I moved.

I parked the vehicle in the hopes to do a standard tune up and detail it out come a warm day as I did not know the maintenance history. The warm day came and I moved the vehicle to a place where I can do some work. Upon entering the vehicle in park, I was about to turn off the engine when I notice the vehicle seemed to be engaged in a gear. Like... I had my foot on the break but was lightly hitting the gas pedal. I gave the vehicle a little gas (1 second tops) and I felt a slight movement of the vehicle until it let up entirely and it was like the vehicle was in neutral/park as it should have been. I then put the vehicle in any gear and it appeared that only forward was working in some of the gears. Currently (a day later) the vehicle has no gears (forward/reverse) again.

So my first guess is all these transmission issues, previous to my ownership, and now these new issues are all related to the manual valve not fully disengaging the transmission due to the manual valve/External linkage adjustment. I still have to pull the pan to see what happened exactly this time but my guess is the valve is out again from fluid build up in the valve body. My second idea, without a ATSG manual, is maybe a solenoid is shot and allowing this to occur by some unfortunate fluid build up situation in the valve body.

Does any of these assumptions seem reasonable?

Has anyone seen this kind of behavior before?

How do I adjust this linkage out or do I need to replace some parts. If so, any suggestions on where to look?

With the cross member and pan arrangement on this vehicle, this is not something I want to do a to many times....If I can help it.

Thanks all for the help,
Chris
Old July 25th, 2011, 5:02 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Outcome and Conclusion....

Turned out to be the Manual Valve Linkage actually broke. The repair was get another set of linkage and I was back on the road.

Thanks,
Chris
The following users liked this post:
Drimont21 (February 6th, 2022)
Old July 25th, 2011, 8:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

great!