Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

4L60E woes

Search this Thread

Old March 26th, 2013, 7:44 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4L60E woes

I'll try to keep this quick... I got a '94 C1500 with a slipping tranny but it was still drivable. I replaced the tranny with another 4L60E from a Camaro. However the "new" tranny did not come with a torque converter so I re-used the one off of the original tranny. Now the truck will not move at all. I am not thinking it is the TC since it seemed to be working ok with the original tranny. Also the "new" tranny supposedly works fine and has no issues but I cannot be certain.

If I rev the engine it sounds fine but when i let off the gas and its winding down, something makes a slight clunking sound. Nothing outrageous but still noticeable. Also, it shifts between PRND321 fine... no sounds or any other signs there. It just rolls though in any gear except park.

ODB shows no codes.

Does anyone have any ideas? Do i need to replace my TC? did i buy a garbage tranny? thx all.
Old March 27th, 2013, 6:14 PM
CF Beginner

alright so ive discovered that the issue is that the Tc is not engaging the pump. ive also discovered that it seems to be because the input shaft is too long, preventing the notches in the TC to grab the pump. does anyone know why this would happen? the TC came off a 4L60E that had the diagonally cut bellhousing and no 12 oclock hole. Im trying to put it in one with a solid bell housing and a 12 oclock hole.

does anyone know how to solve my problem? will this require a new TC? possibly one from a camaro? or is there a way to get the TC to grab the pump by moving the input shaft in or something?

Thx all
Old March 28th, 2013, 7:23 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you are headed for more problems down the road. Some of those car trannys are pretty light duty units.

Just my 2¢,

Allan
Old March 28th, 2013, 9:18 PM
CF Veteran

and i would never re use a converter from a failed tranny