Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old July 22nd, 2015, 2:34 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Transmission
Print Wikipost

4L80 transmission problems

Old August 30th, 2008, 10:08 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4L80 transmission problems

I have a 2000 chevy silverado 2500 6.0Lwith only 115000kms on it over the last couple monthsthe4L80 transmission hasbeenhaving really hard shifts after drivingon the highway for 30-40 min in D4 the engine light comes on and the code p1870 comes up on the code reader i had the chevy dealershipreplace the solonoidand pressure valveflush out everything and 700 bucks later i still have the problem they said i need a new tranny i took my truck to a transmission shop they installed a regulatorand said there was a littleblack soot in the valve body and is hinting towards a new torque convertor but with noguarantee to fix the problemand once again 550 bucks later SAME PROBLEM if there is anyone out there who could shoot me some good advice would be awesome
Old September 1st, 2008, 2:44 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: 4L80 transmission problems

Don't forget the basics, did you check the tranny fluid after running the vehicle with the engine ON in PARK? If so, it seems that getting an opinion from another shop might be in order. Also take the vehicle back where the work was done originally, and see if they're willing to repair the problem free, since it recurred so soon after the first repair.
Old September 2nd, 2008, 3:45 PM
CF Active Member

The next "mechanic" you go to, don't sign off on anything until they tell that what they are about to do is going to FIX the problem. Sounds like some "parts-changers" have just thrown parts at hoping to get it right at your expense. I tell them straight out.... "Look, I aint here to have you throw parts at it. I can do that in my driveway at home. I'm here for you to diagnose properly, and repair the problem, not guess." And as a result, I have been asked to leave because they can't help me. Mechanicing is not turning wreches. Mechanicing in diagnosing. A 12 year old can turn wrenches.
Old September 3rd, 2008, 9:50 PM
CF Active Member

I also have a 2000 model chevy, 2500 series with 4L80E transmission with 80K miles.

I could start out in the morning, transmission oil cold, and it worked fine for about 5-6 miles or even further if I stayed on level roads.

If I came to a hill it would shift out of OD and then all shifts after that would be hard/jerky shifts until I stopped, turn motor off for about 30 secs.

Transmission tech said turning motor off reset the computer, transmission would shift into OD after the stop until I got to the next hill. Sometimes, it would shift out of OD on level road.

GM Tech said in time it would get to the point that it would no longer shift into OD at all.

Tech said the reason for the hard shift, was the computer knew some type of transmission slippage was happening, so it automatically increases the shift pressure to insure the clutch discs do not slip and burn. (Do not know if this is true or not, but went transmission would not shift into OD, all shifts were very hard/jerky shifts like it had a shift kit installed).

He said some type piston in torque converter was busted/cracked and would not allow the torque converter to maintain the proper oil pressure to stay in the lockup position.

All I know, is a new torque converter fixed the problem, just a mechanical failure.
Tech said GM changed thetorque converters in the 2000 models, had a number of failures and changed back to the old setup. Again, do not know if this is true, but a$1000 torqure converter replacement fixed the problem.

Good luck with yours, hope you come out better.
Old October 22nd, 2008, 9:45 AM
CF Beginner

the prob you are explaining sounds like a solenoid problem. You can buy the solenoids either on ebay or chevrolet. They are not hard to do. I have had a prob or two with the 4l80 and once the probs are fixed make it run as cool as possible. Put a cooling tube pan from derale on itto give it andextra 3 quart fluidcapaicty and put the biggest transmission cooler you can find on it. THe derale pan has tubes in it that run the length of the pan. As the air passes under the truck the air passes through the tubes and cools fluid temperature. B&M makes a 24000 pound cooler for it. A word to the wise buy it the stock cooler isn't worth crap. The key to no probs with the 4l80 is to make it run as cool as ice if you can. My transmission in my 1 ton is a 4l80 and with my gooseneck trailer and 10000 pound bobcat on there never sees 180 degrees and I am in FL with 95 degree heat.
Old December 12th, 2008, 7:45 AM
CF Beginner

Is that the 'Shift Timing' solenoid you are talking about?? Where abouts is it located?
Old December 24th, 2008, 4:52 AM
CF Beginner

Hey Guys heres a link to a the tranny cooler I put on my 03 hd 2500. It runs approximatly 190 in the summer time. Here in Arizona the temps get pretty hot. 115 deg outside. Ive been pretty happy with this cooler. Even towing a 9000lb trailer temp up hill around 200.

http://www.transmissioncoolers.us/Me...ool-MAX-cooler

[sm=gears.gif]
Old April 8th, 2009, 9:31 PM
CF Beginner

Exclamation Same Problem

I am currently having possibly the same problem.
I have a 00 Silverado 6L with 104K miles. It has had an easy life. I am the second owner and my dad was the first. I noticed after about 20-30 min of pulling my 6K lb horse trailer at about 55-60 mph then when I would slow down to a stop light, stop, and take off. When my truck would shift from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd or 3rd to 4th (any or all of the gears) my truck would jerk forward hard. At first I thought one of the brakes on my horse trailer was causing the problem like a hung brake or something that is what it feels like. I noticed the first time it started doing it I was hauling approx 1h 30min away. After 45min of the trip my trans temp was at about 200 so I pulled over turned off the truck and sat for about 15min. The trip doesn't involve alot of hills at all. Its one of the easiest trips I take to go riding. Got back into the truck and finished the trip down. It was good til about 10min before my house and it started again. After that I noticed the trans temp didn't have to be high for the truck to do this. I started driving the truck to work just to see how it would act. It started doing it just everyday driving. It will do it after its warmed up like 10-15min down the road at 55-60mph. Also the trans temp is running about 180-185 now which is about 10 higher than normal. The trans fluid/filter was changed at approx 70K. The fluid is at proper level. All of this has occurred during the fall/winter in East TN. One other thing to note. The very first problem that I noticed was when driving down the road w/o trailer, you know those mini speed bumps that warn you there is a turn coming up? Well I would be driving pushing the gas and the truck would vibrate like I had just gone over a set of those. Once I take my foot off it goes away. Out of all of these problems, the vibration and the jerking, the vibration may happen or may not its luck of the draw. The jerking will always happen with my trailer (which I had another truck pull to definately rule out that) and will most likely happen when bobtailing. Please help!! I don't know whether I should take it to a dealership or a transmission place. What are your suggestions?

Pod423
Old April 8th, 2009, 10:09 PM
CF Active Member

I say if it's under warranty go to the dealership, if not go to a good transmission place.
Old February 12th, 2014, 8:34 AM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Is anyone now or in the past had a problem with their reverse gear barely or in a bumpy fashion move their vehicle to only creep along at first then finally gain momentum but not without much protest from somewhere.It is difficult to feel where the problem is directly coming from.This is a"95" Tahoe with 190,000 miles but otherwise runs like a champ.No otherdrive issues, not even play in u-joints.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4L80 transmission problems