Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

4WD Selector Switch

Search this Thread

Old January 29th, 2014, 5:53 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool 4WD Selector Switch

This ain't the best time to try and figure out my 4WD problem. But, I can't get out of my neighborhood because of the snow/ice and not having 4WD, so I've got the time to think about it.

My issues: 1. 4WD selector switch in the dash is dead. No response, no lights, nada. Obviously, 4WD doesn't do anything. It does not engage, nothing. This is a long time problem, but I've been too lazy/busy/whatever/pick/your/own/verb to actually replace the switch and start the troubleshooting process. Also, no service indicators for that, so yeah.

2. The tow/haul switch is no longer working as of two months ago.

3. Possible underlying problem: it looks like a monkey with a wrench wired in an after market security system before I bought it. I do not have much confidence in the quality of the wiring.

My questions: Could the tow/haul switch be a combined problem with the selector switch?

How likely is it that a replacement switch will fix my 4wd woes?

What other underlying issues could cause a switch to go bad? (other than the switch just deciding not to work one day)
Old January 29th, 2014, 11:45 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check your fuses, make sure the monkey didn't "need" your fuse for his security system. If they had lights that's one thing, but not working and no lights, probably means no power. Second thing I would check is the wiring and then the switches.