Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Volant air intake problem with programmer

Search this Thread

Old February 15th, 2010, 4:36 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Volant air intake problem with programmer

I have a 2007 1500 4.8L V8 new body style 4x2 crew cab. I had the Edge Fusion programmer installed along with the Volant CAI system. Ever since, the check engine light comes on and while stopped the service traction control and service stabilitrac lights come on. As I begin accelerating the tranny shifts hard from 1st to 2nd and then the service traction control and service stabilitrac lights go off and everything alse is fine although the service engine light stays on. The programmer is giving me 2 DTC trouble codes. Sys too lean Bank 1 and sys too lean bank 2. I can clear these codes and the lights go off and everything is normal for about 15 to 30 min of normal driving. I return the truck back to stock and still have these problems. I talked to people at Edge Products and updated the programmer. They said it was the Volant and this was logical due to the larger amount of air entering the engine, hence sys too LEAN. Does anyone have a fix for this?
Old February 15th, 2010, 8:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

program it for a different setting?
Old February 15th, 2010, 8:21 PM
CF Beginner

It does the same for all power settings, even return to stock.
Old February 15th, 2010, 9:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats a toughy. could the programmer have caused the pcm to go haywire?
Old February 15th, 2010, 9:23 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Something else is wrong. The CAI is not causing the problem. The air flow meter will monitor the amount of air coming in and the computer will adjust the fuel accordingly. Is the air filter oiled?
Old February 16th, 2010, 5:19 PM
CF Beginner

No the filter is not oiled. The filter is Volant power core filter with a circular cotton/ paper honeycombed design. I'm leaning towards "s34n's" idea of the programmer throwing off the PCM however with the Sys too lean codes continually popping up, I'm not sure what to do.
Old February 16th, 2010, 5:28 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

If it still does it with out the programmer something else is wrong. The air filter is NOT the problem.
Old February 16th, 2010, 5:35 PM
CF Beginner

Would the dealer turn me away due to aftermarket parts? I have no idea what to do.
Old February 16th, 2010, 6:53 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

They probably will not warranty it. You could take the programmer out and the CAI off,drive it until the light comes back on then take it in.
Old August 26th, 2010, 10:57 PM
CF Beginner

A friend of mine had a volant aftermarket cai on his 03 silverado and had the same problem. The dealership told him that it was his intake and not a transmission issue. It was causing the sensor to read wrong on the intake and the transmission was compensating causing the problem. He took of the intake and the hard shifting went right away. Im not sure if it was a wet or dry filter tho. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Volant air intake problem with programmer