Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old July 24th, 2015, 4:01 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community expertsBrowse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

5.7 Vortec Engine Swap

Search this Thread

Old July 31st, 2007, 12:51 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 5.7 Vortec Engine Swap

I have a 1996 Silverado 2wdthat has a 5.7L Vortec in it right now. The motor has a bunch of miles on it an finally locked up. I found a 5.7 Vortec motor out of a 99 Tahoe 4wd that I could purchase. My question is... what are the major differences in these two motors and what all will I have to swap over? Any help at all would be awesome.

Thanks,
Michael
The following users liked this post:
Regman89 (September 8th, 2021)
Old July 31st, 2007, 8:36 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 5.7 Vortec Engine Swap

Easy swap, the motors are basically identical.
Old August 1st, 2007, 5:45 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will agree with ZX1100F1that they are almost identical. Almost being the key word. I am not sure but I think it should be a direct drop in to include the wiring harness, except for the fuel system and the computer. In 96 when they started the Vortec they had Central Sequential Fuel Injection. That should be what you have. If I remeber right they started putting Muti Port Fuel Injection on in 97. You should be able to get a wiring harness and a computer for that. If you know what it came out of and you want to know if the alternator and all that are the same go to a parts store and have them look them up for yours and for whatever the engine came out of. I think the fuel injection and computer is all that is different.
Old August 2nd, 2007, 12:37 PM
CF Beginner

Contact Howellefi.com I would think something with ECU would need to be reprogrammed!?!?
Old August 2nd, 2007, 9:30 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Let me rephrase that:

The 1996 thru 1999 GM Vortec 5.7L engines are all identical and all use the CMFI fuel delivery systems.
It is a direct swap.

What do you think, that I make this stuff up?
The following 2 users liked this post by ZX1100F1:
Spencer Stephens (October 28th, 2020), Thor9397 (June 9th, 2021)
Old March 31st, 2012, 3:18 PM
CF Beginner

Default New engine locked up?????????

Hi Guys,

My husband just had someone install a new 5.7 Vortec engine in his 1997 Silverado 1500. The engine (supposedly) has never actually cranked over and we are being told that the bearing were shot because of a faulty Fuel pressure regulator. Sorry I am not a mechanic but how can an engine be locked if it has never cranked! Please any insight would help......
Old April 1st, 2012, 11:36 AM
CF Active Member

i think you need to talk to your mechanics more it seems to me thier story has holes in it. i dont think that can happen if its never been cranked my guess is they messed up and dont want to admit it that would mean they have to replace it and i doubt they wanna spend that kind of money but i am not a mechanic either hopefully someone will give you some more advice but personally i dont know how thats possible to have it lock up without cranking it
Old December 5th, 2021, 10:18 PM
CF Beginner

so my question is can a 5.7 liter Vortec 99' Tahoe engine fit in a 95' Tahoe or greater? I'm looking for a Tahoe that has no rust on the frame or body so I can swap my engine out with it. my body is rusted out badly.
Old October 9th, 2022, 10:57 AM
CF Beginner

Default Engine swap

Okay guys I have a 1998 Chevy Silverado Z71 4x4 and I got a 5.7 l vortec engine in it and somebody's got a 5.7 l engine and I was just wondering what all I needed to do to swap engines and to keep the vortex
Old December 19th, 2022, 12:09 AM
CF Beginner

Default Locked up?

Originally Posted by Sherri Idlebird
Hi Guys,

My husband just had someone install a new 5.7 Vortec engine in his 1997 Silverado 1500. The engine (supposedly) has never actually cranked over and we are being told that the bearing were shot because of a faulty Fuel pressure regulator. Sorry I am not a mechanic but how can an engine be locked if it has never cranked! Please any insight would help......
I Would say that if they spoke of the fuel pressure regulator and the engine appears locked up, it's hydro locked with fuel in one or two cylinders. That will positively stop an engine from turning. This makes me 🤔 wonder about the people installing the engine. They should be knowledgeable about this scenario and should not be having this conversation with you. There should be appropriate repairs made and delivered fully functional or they need to replace the engine at no further cost to your husband. Watch that shop for failing you again.

Quick Reply: 5.7 Vortec Engine Swap