Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.
Old August 4th, 2015, 6:27 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

5.7L Engine Miss. Very Frustrated! Tried Everything.

Old January 24th, 2015, 10:04 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

replace the fuel injection unit with MPFI from later model engine. Summit Racing sells one from Chevrolet Performance for less than 400.00 and it installs in about 6 hours. The central sequential fuel injection system used on pre 99 vortec engines is notorious for trouble
Old April 30th, 2015, 8:10 AM
CF Beginner

Had same problem in my boat took champion plugs out repaced with NGK's after doing every thing you did DROVE me nuts .Now it runs great good luck.
Old May 11th, 2015, 8:54 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Temp sending unit.....fixed my hard starting, misses, smoke, etc. Worth a try. I just unplugged the connector and applied contact grease to mine and it's like new. Did the same thing for my wipers that went "haywire". Corrosion seems to be the culprit.
Old December 30th, 2016, 4:08 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by babybrian11
hey guys im not sure if my problem is the same
I had to replace my intake manifold and along the way we had to set the distributer and do the timing
now when im driving I get a random miss. its pretty jarring
its mostly at low rpms. it doesn't send any codes.
it starts fine, drive fine, idles fine
the miss only happens randomly
any clues
I'm having the exact same problem as you described. Mine is 97 / 1500 5.7L it's been happening on and off for about 4yrs. I know your post is from a while back. Did you get it fixed? I've replaced just about everything on mine and still has the same problem.

Last edited by JimmyTKg; December 30th, 2016 at 4:15 PM. Reason: Add more information
Old December 30th, 2016, 4:14 PM
CF Beginner

When it happens to mine it shakes the whole truck. I even had a new create transmission installed.
Old December 31st, 2016, 9:12 AM
CF Junior Member

Default Bad/no ground

I had a similar issue with an 1988 350 eng. Found a bad ground by the thermostat hsg. It fixed the problem.
Old December 4th, 2019, 9:32 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by dartlord2001
Hello,I am a new member.I have a '94 4x4 silverado 1500.I am having a problem with a miss in the engine.I had a mechanic that works for a GM dealership to look at it.He scanned it and his scanner found no problems with it.It idles fine but when you give it a little throttle,it starts to miss and tries to stall.Its like it loses ignition totally or fuel flow.He unhooked the hose from the egr solenoid and it would run smoothly when giving it throttle but would still cut out and miss while driving it.I replaced the solenoid and that did not fix the problem.He also noticed the fuel pressure regulator was leaking so i replaced that too but it did not fix the problem.The fuel pump,fuel filter,and distributor were all replaced about 15 months ago as well as the coil and it ran fine until about 2 months ago then it started having the miss gradually.I have tried different plug wires ,new rotor and dist. cap and new plugs and nothing seems to help.The engine starts getting the miss after it warms up when sitting still and misses at all times when driving.The engine is a 5.7L with TBI.Any help with this would be greatly appreciated as i have tried everything i can think of.
Thank You,
John
Look into your fuel spider, mine was toasted after going thru your same troubles
Old December 4th, 2019, 9:34 AM
CF Beginner

I replaced everything on mine and was tearing into it to replace gaskets when I noticed a fire in my upper. Intake cooked my fuel spider hoses, let me know if it works for you, my truck runs stronger than ever now
Old December 11th, 2019, 10:42 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by dartlord2001
Hello,I am a new member.I have a '94 4x4 silverado 1500.I am having a problem with a miss in the engine.I had a mechanic that works for a GM dealership to look at it.He scanned it and his scanner found no problems with it.It idles fine but when you give it a little throttle,it starts to miss and tries to stall.Its like it loses ignition totally or fuel flow.He unhooked the hose from the egr solenoid and it would run smoothly when giving it throttle but would still cut out and miss while driving it.I replaced the solenoid and that did not fix the problem.He also noticed the fuel pressure regulator was leaking so i replaced that too but it did not fix the problem.The fuel pump,fuel filter,and distributor were all replaced about 15 months ago as well as the coil and it ran fine until about 2 months ago then it started having the miss gradually.I have tried different plug wires ,new rotor and dist. cap and new plugs and nothing seems to help.The engine starts getting the miss after it warms up when sitting still and misses at all times when driving.The engine is a 5.7L with TBI.Any help with this would be greatly appreciated as i have tried everything i can think of.
Thank You,
John
My 94 k1500 started this. I put new heads on and somehow damaged an intake gasket installing the intake. Would die when i stopped, stumble if i accelerated very hard, coughed and choked and wouldn't downshift to passing gear. I replaced and checked and rechecked valves vacuum lines timing. Finally changed intake gaskets today..... Should've just started with that and saved some headache and cash when I knew thats what it was to begin with. Could be a vacuum line even, and i just read where this year model and a few others are bad about leaking around the tbi gasket. Good luck.
Old December 16th, 2019, 3:36 PM
CF Beginner

Default 1995 5.7 tbi Chevy Tahoe 2wd 245k miles and Counting Same Issue

After doing cap and rotor replacement same issue as original post tried everything was real careful and double checked my work had to be something I did during job...it was i mixed up plug wires from #1 and #5 it started ran just missed and was rough discovered my error fixed wiring and was purring like a kitten TRY THE LIL THINGS GUYS TRIPLE CHECK YOU MIGHT HAVE OVERLOOKED A LIL DETAIL. THANKS

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 5.7L Engine Miss. Very Frustrated! Tried Everything.