Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

700r4

Old June 26th, 2012, 12:24 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 700r4

....or after 1993 4L60. No matter how its known, I really don't know much about them at all. I have a leak at the detent cable. If I remove the detent cable from the tranny will fluid gush out?? Same goes for the shifter lever. There is a nut that holds the shift bracket to the tranny. The seal behind it is leaking too. The 1 thing I know is draining the tranny is a messy job. I have no shop so I'm on my back with a big tarp under me.
Old June 26th, 2012, 2:14 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unhook the cable at the throttle body first by pulling the plastic end forward off the button. If you don't unhook the top end first, you'll never get it out of the transmission. Go back down below and clean as much 'grim' as possible from around the tranny end.

Have a catch pan at the ready because yes, it's gonna leak out some. Take a 10mm wrench or socket and remove the little bolt and pull the cable housing up out of the transmission. When it clears, slide the eye of the cable off the TV link that it's attached to.

Lift the little boot seal up and over the TV link and reverse the process to assemble. Be sure to top off the oil level when you're done.

The shift shaft seal is another can of worms. You just about need the tool to replace that guy.

Oh, your transmission is a '92 or older if it has a TV cable.

Allan
Old June 27th, 2012, 6:51 PM
CF Beginner

Default Thanx

I appreciate the tips and info. You mentioned that I might need a special tool to remove the shift lever seal? So, there is a seal and not an 'O' ring or a gasket?
Old June 28th, 2012, 3:50 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is a metal clad seal which is pressed into the case. Very easy to change if the shaft isn't in place, but that shift shaft has to come out from the inside and it's a bit of a hassle to do it that way.

Any parts house can get you the two little tools to remove and install. I would guess around $30.

However, if you were planning on changing the oil and filter anyway, this would be a good time to change the seal. Just be sure to get all that linkage installed back together correctly.

Allan
Old June 28th, 2012, 10:32 AM
CF Beginner

thanks Allen