Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

84 Silverado Power Window Problems

Old January 19th, 2011, 5:08 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 84 Silverado Power Window Problems

My grandfather recently passed down his 84 Chevy Silverado to me and the power windows don't work. My grandmother told me that there was a problem with the windows before, but they replaced the motors and the windows worked... for a time. They are now both out again and I was wondering if there was anything else I could check before I dump several hundred on a motor and regulator. I have been advised that it might be an electrical problem but I have no idea where to look or what to look for. Any help would be great! I really don't think that both windows going out at the same time mean a motor or regulator problem, but again, I have no idea where to look or what to look for. Thanks for any help
Old January 19th, 2011, 8:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

could be the master window switch. check for power to the switch and then power to the motor. and for these old cars the motors are like $40.
Old January 23rd, 2011, 3:09 PM
CF Beginner

is the master window switch simply the switches on the driver side door? Oh and I get to add a new question as well, my car stalls out when I back out of a parking spot if the wheel is turned all the way and now I have problems getting the car to move forward when I back out then put it in drive. I hit the accelerator but all it does is rev up. I have to put it in first to get it to move and it is an automatic transmission. Thanks for the reply!
Old January 23rd, 2011, 3:43 PM
CF Beginner

yes, master switch is on the driver door. did you change/ check tranny fuild?
Old January 23rd, 2011, 4:18 PM
CF Beginner

Follow the wires from the window to top to bottom, and check for corrosion and cracks. Strip a small part of both tips of your wire with a knife or wire stripper. This will expose the wire so that you can connect or touch the wire easily with leads.Set multi meter on the ohms setting. You will be measuring the ohms to ensure that a current can be transmitted through the electrical wireTurn on your multi meter and take the leads in your hand.Place the lads on each end of the wire. The multi meter should display a number on the screen. The multi meter is measuring the resistance in the wire. Some level of resistance in the wire is normal and the fact that there is resistance being measured lets you know that a current can pass through the wire. The number should be very low though, close to zero; otherwise there may be a break. If this is good check your plugs and your fuses.
Old January 26th, 2011, 6:41 PM
CF Junior Member

i have 92 chevy my motor is goin out i found new one for round 40 bucks i believe on cheap auto parts.com the salvage yd wanted 80 for used one
Old January 27th, 2011, 11:44 PM
CF Active Member

My 2001 dodge van would burn a motor up in a 8 years and that was low mileage and I don't use the window much (around 60000 miles). I'm guessing you can burn them out faster like 3 to 4 years. The problem is a 5 dollar part, the brushes they wear down and don't work. Before the window quits it gets real erratic and works off and on. Guess what? No one sells that part they want 280 dollars for the whole window cable system.

To check remove the door panel and take the cover off the motor, the spindle and windings should come out and you will see some black graphite brushes that have springs that push them into the windings. I'm betting they are real tiny and wore out.
Old February 9th, 2011, 1:34 PM
CF Beginner

thanks for all the advice guys. I am going to check those systems once it stops freezing outside and see what I can find out. Freezing weather in Houston... go figure...