Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx
Old July 29th, 2015, 1:33 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

04 2500 check engine light

Search this Thread

Old October 17th, 2008, 2:30 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 2500 check engine light

Hello all, New to chevrolet forum. I have 04 2500 Silverado with 6.0 ltr engine. Check engine light has come on and the code reads MAF sensor. I have removed and clean sensor once and reset computer and light come on again. Local dealer says it could be air leaking into the intake (it will cost me 95 bucks to have them look at it)Has anyone ever had this problem or should I just replace sensor. Heard the cost 250 to 300 bucks.
Old October 18th, 2008, 12:35 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: 04 2500 check engine light

post the DTC so we know what you talking about.
Also call autozone, and give them the DTC they can narrow it down for you

Old October 18th, 2008, 8:53 AM
CF Beginner

I am not sure whatyou mean by the DTC. But I would guess it's the code thatyou get from thecode reader, I can post it once I get it. The problem I am runninginto is I don't know what is causing the code.
Old October 18th, 2008, 7:21 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DTC= diagnostic trouble code. yes, it's scanner codes.

if you did fix something and the code comes back, you either did not do it right, or you did the wrong fix. if you cleaned MAF sensor, and same code came back, either sensor is bad, or you have its harness problem. some MAFs are tricky to clean. my wife's lexus requires a know-how to do it right.

post codes.
Old October 19th, 2008, 11:59 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Not for nothing, but how's that air filter doing?
Old October 20th, 2008, 9:45 PM
CF Beginner

The air filter looks clean, The truck has a air flow gage on it, It's right by the air box andit would show that the air flow is restricted if it had a dirty air filter.The DTC is P0101. Has anyone else ever had this code come up? and if so should I just replace the MAF sensor and hopethat nothingelse is wrong?
Old October 22nd, 2008, 3:50 PM
CF Beginner

I take it from the response that not too many people have ever had this problem. Thanks for the help
Old October 22nd, 2008, 5:52 PM
CF Beginner

The P0101 signals what is called a "range performance error" with the mass airflow sensor. In other words, it means that the amount of airflow the sensor says is entering the engine is different than the amount of air that is actually going in. The sensor could be reading high or it could be reading low (though low is more common, especially with a dirty or contaminated sensor). What did you use to clean the sensor the first time? Any chemicals other than electrical contact cleaner or cleaner specifically for mass airflow sensors could have damaged the sensor, in which case cleaning it again won't solve the problem. Try to eliminate the easy (and cheap) things first. Check for air leaks in the intake tube. Make sure the air box is completely closed, and that your air filter doesn't have a tear in the edge causing air to leak past. If all that checks out, and cleaning the sensor doesn't work a 2nd time, you'll probably have to replace the sensor.
Old October 22nd, 2008, 8:55 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks Steve O! Best answer I have had yet,
I did clean the MAF with cleaner specifically for mass airflow sensors, I have checked around intake for a leak (uesd a small propane bottle with hose to see if engine would rev up if it getssuckedinto intake No Luck) but didn't check around air box or intake tube and I'll takea closer look at edges of air filtertoo to see if that could be the problem. Thanks again
Old October 23rd, 2008, 10:04 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default is this the best reply or what?

Technical Description
Mass Air Flow (MAF) Circuit Range/Performance Problem
What does that mean?
Basically this means that there is a problem with the Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor or circuit. The PCM detects that the actual MAF sensor frequency signal is not within a predetermined range of the calculated MAF value for more than 4.0 seconds.

Symptoms
You will likely not notice any serious drivability problems, although there may be symptoms.
Possible Solutions
The simplest thing to do is to reset the code and see if it comes back. Then start with the cheapest, easiest repair procedures:
[ul][*]Inspect for the following conditions:
An incorrectly routed harnessInspect the harness of the MAF sensor in order to verify that it is not routed too close to the following components:
- The secondary ignition wires or coils
- Any solenoids
- Any relays
- Any motors[*]A low minimum air rate through the sensor bore may cause this DTC to set at idle or during deceleration. Inspect for any vacuum leaks downstream of the MAF sensor.[*]A wide open throttle (WOT) acceleration from a stop should cause the MAF sensor g/s display on the scan tool to increase rapidly. This increase should be from 6-12 g/s at idle to 230 g/s or more at the time of the 1-2 shift. If the increase is not observed, inspect for a restriction in the induction system or the exhaust system.[*]The barometric pressure (BARO) that is used in order to calculate the predicted MAF value is initially based on the MAP sensor at key ON.[*]When the engine is running the MAP sensor value is continually updated near WOT. A skewed MAP sensor will cause the calculated MAF value to be inaccurate. The value shown for the MAP sensor display varies with the altitude. With the ignition ON and the engine OFF, 103 kPa is the approximate value near sea level. This value will decrease by approximately 3 kPa for every 305 meters (1,000 feet) of altitude.[*]A high resistance on the ground circuit of the MAP sensor can cause this DTC to set.[*]Any loss of vacuum to the MAP sensor can cause this DTC to set. [/ul]