Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Cant find the noise!!!

Search this Thread

Old June 1st, 2009, 1:28 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cant find the noise!!!

#1 I have a 2000 Chevy 5.3 with 209,000 miles. It has been a great truck I have not had to replace or fix much. The other day right after I started the truck and it warmed up I heard a noise from the passenger side ( noise reminds me of locking the steering wheel all the way right and the noise that makes is it) More RPMs the louder, I do all my work on my truck and I have never heard anything like it!

#2 I just replaced my brakes front and back b/c I had a sqeeking that bothered me, all pads have not gotten to the sqeeker bar yet, So new pads just like I have done many other times I started driving and the main noise is gone but its like a chirp, chirp noise like a bad spot on the roter faster I go more chirping, also it quits @ about 20mph. any thoughts?
Old June 1st, 2009, 2:28 PM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was it a clicking or clunk noise?
Old June 1st, 2009, 3:48 PM
CF Beginner

Noise 1: from what your describing it sounds like your power steering pump wining, Check your power steering fluid level, if low top off and look for leaks. If full you might need a new pump.

Noise 2: If you didn't clean the friction points of the pad cradle, your pads might not be moving freely, therefore pads don't release fully and you can get a churp or squeal. Hope this helps.
Old June 1st, 2009, 4:37 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

exhaust manifold leak?
Old June 1st, 2009, 9:05 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you use ceramic brake pads? Did you turn or replace the rotors?
For some reason the back side of GM truck rotors rust terribly and make noise.
Old June 2nd, 2009, 9:56 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the help, I didn't use ceramic pad I used the mid grade pads that i have always used and I didn't turn the rotors I will try that next.

power steering pump fluid is full and the noise kinda sounds like that, I don't have to be turning the steering wheel to hear the noise also it didn't make the noise this morning.

exhaust manifold leak I have one! tried to replace the manifold gasket but on the last bolt next to the firewall broke off in the motor so i now will always have the leak until i can get the bolt out, I tried using a right angle drill and reversing it out but the drill doesn't have the *** to turn it out and i don't have enough bolt to get a grip with any tools. But thats not the same noise I am talking about!

daman..... I put that grease on the outside of the brake pad is that what your talking about?
Old June 2nd, 2009, 12:03 PM
CF Beginner

Heres a picture describing, slide pins and slide grooves must be cleaned under shims so pads move freely with minimal resistance, small amount of brake lube between shims and cradle helf to slow rust fron returning. also not replacing or turning rotors are not recomended. (though I have been known to do it) Hope it helps explain what I meant.
Attached Thumbnails Cant find the noise!!!-brake.jpg  
Old June 8th, 2009, 11:30 AM
CF Beginner

Default Found one of the noises!!

Alright I was driving around yesterday and the noise started getting louder pulled over and poped the hood starting looking and noticed that my belt tensioner pully way stuck! the belt was not making the noise it was the pully! so i have replaced it and all goo now!

As for the slider pins on the brakes I put some grease on them and still have the noise don't know what to do, I may need to take my tire off and see if my lug nuts go all the way down if not i may have to put washers on them. Has anyone heard of this before? does it work? Let me know and Thanks for all the replies that I have gotten much help!