Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old July 23rd, 2015, 4:13 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

Wax or Polish

Search this Thread

Old April 12th, 2007, 1:07 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wax or Polish

What's the best wax these days? I used to be an avid "Classic wax" user but it's been a while. Are these waxes they make that are colored (mine is white) any good?
Thanks, Jorg
Old April 20th, 2007, 10:46 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Wax or Polish

sorry man no clue
Old April 21st, 2007, 9:07 AM
CF Junior Member

Actually those colored products are just a car polish. They are not a wax. They do not protect your finish like a wax does. They will wear off very fast and they have almost no protective properties whatsoever. They will bead up water for a few days at best. Some do contain a few wax ingredients such as Carnauba but again they are a "polish" not a "wax". Do not use one of these as your long term car finish.

Sounds like you are talking about Duplicolor Color Care( not even sure they still make this product? - it was lousy anyway )or Turtle Wax "Color Magic" car polish that comes with the little crayon stick as well.

http://www.turtlewax.com/main.taf?p=2,1,4,5

The TW stuff actually works decent for what it is. I don't mean as a wax butif you have a lot ofsmall scratches and swirls it does a good job of hiding them. The crayon stick thing they give youwith it however is USELESS! Don't even bother waste your time. If you have a spot big enough to use that stuff then it needs touch up paint not a crayon!

With the TW stuff if you do the entire vehicle with your basic color( i.e., white, blue, red, etc... )it does enhance the color and make it a bit more brilliant, deep, etc... Especially the medium to dark colors. Blues and Red/Maroon seem to really benefit from it.Unfortunately for you white is white and it wont do much in that regard. It will help however to hide small scratches and swirl marks as I said.

Tips on use...

1 - wear some of those disposable latex or rubber gloves like doctors, nurses, food prep personnel, etc...wear when you are using this stuff. You can usually find them for like $1 for a small pack at your local hardware store( generally green ).Itdoes containa dye and will stain your hands badly if you get it on them. Does not wash out easy so for days your hands will be colored.

2 - Wash the vehicle, or area you want to see if it will hide the scratches on, really well if you plan on using it. It is best to remove all the old wax 1st as well to be sure the stuff has a chance to get into the scratches good. If they are full of wax it won't work as well or even at all. I use this stuff once a year or spot duty on new scratches. I like to use warm water that I suds up with dish detergent to make sure all the old wax is off. Be advised however that dish soap WILL completely strip all the old wax off so you will need to rewax after the TW colored polish!

3 - After you have washed the truck and removed all the wax from it/the area needed proceed to use the TW stuff the same way you would a wax. Do the area in need or the entire vehicle one section at a time. NOTE - as with actual wax do NOT get this stuff on your plastic trim!!!!! Concentrate 1st on any areas that have scratches that can easily be seen. I like to make the rounds of the truck and apply a good heavy coat of it over any of those areas 1st so it has time to sit and dry/stain the scratch IF I am using it as a pre wax color booster. Once I have done that I go back and lightly wipe those area off. Be sure you don't get too aggressive rubbing/polishing the areas that are scratched or you will end up wiping it all out. Wipe just hard and long enough to remove the excess and make the surface clean again. After you have treated the individual bad spots do the entire truck just like you would with wax. If you really want to see the difference it makes do half the hood and then step back and look. Some colors respond better than others but it usually makes the paint tone deeper and richer.

4 - Now that you have done the truck/area in need go over it all with your favorite wax. Give it a couple coats as you stripped all the old wax off remember. Using the colored stuff 1st will help to hide fine scratches and swirl marks. Waxing it after is needed not only to protect the paint's surfaces but it also will help protect the colored stuff you just put on. Unprotected that colored stuff wears off pretty quick. Keep it waxed over and it will stay on indefinitely. I like to redo it each spring but I am a detailing fanatic when it comes to my vehicles.

Just a couple more points...

This stuff works for small scratches and helps to hide swirl marks. It isn't going to fix major damage or really big scratches. You will be very disappointed if you buy it for that reason.

Also, they just have basic colors. You won't find your exact color match. Thecolor doesn't have to be an exact match from the bottle however because the damageit will actually work on will be so fine that it almost disappears when you look at it. If you have a light blue truck and use their blue( very dark )it will hide the scratches unless you look very, very, close and then you can see they were just made dark blue. Amazing what a good job it does with just a basic color.

Again, this stuff is NOT a wax and should not be used as your finish protectant. Use a quality paste car wax such as Meguiars Gold Class. IMO Meguiars offers the best car care products out there for the consumer and professional alike. I used to sell Meguiars and have used it myself my whole life. The Gold Class products are some of the best out there that are easy to fiind. Mother's is another good brand but I am a real Meguiars fan.

http://www.meguiars.com/?paste-car-w...-Car-Wax-Paste

Hope this helps you out.
Old April 22nd, 2007, 12:01 AM
CF Beginner

I use Hi-Tech Yellow Wax made by Meguiar's. Its gives me good coverage and never has disappointed me.
Old April 22nd, 2007, 3:39 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

zaino
Old April 25th, 2007, 8:08 PM
CF Beginner

I've had good luck with Mother's Polish then Carnauba wax. Also Maguiar's works pretty well. I have some 3M buffing compund and polish if there is some bad scratches I want to smooth out. I've heard pure Carnauba wax offers the best protection. Just my $.02
Old April 28th, 2007, 6:35 PM
CF Junior Member

A polish I tried was ICE by turtle wax(it's a synthetic wax that you cant get as liquid or paste. About $15 at walmart) ....It made my pewter truck shine nicely and didnt leave any residue
Old May 10th, 2007, 9:58 PM
Banned

Polish then wax! I like Mothers Carnauba its in a Red container. way better than Turtle
Old May 11th, 2007, 6:30 AM
CF Active Member

This is a 2003 bought in Sept of 2002. I've never used anything but Nu Finsh. Just traded on a 2007.

Name:  truck03aa.jpg
Views: 780
Size:  73.9 KB
Old May 13th, 2007, 7:52 AM
Banned

Damn that looks good but then again there are many variables here that go beyond the brand of wax. but like I said your truck sure is shiny!

Quick Reply: Wax or Polish