Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Help me with this &*&$@ rattle, please!

Search this Thread

Old August 27th, 2009, 12:39 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me with this &*&$@ rattle, please!

Hi, All:

Truck: 2001 Silverado. Shorty cab, shorty step bed.

I've had this truck from 17K miles on, and the entire time I've had a terribly obnoxious rattle in the dash. Someone, please help!

*** Definitely on driver's side.

*** Definitely behind the instrument cluster (I'm 100% positive because it rattles with the cluster removed.)

*** I have been unable to reach underneath the dash from the brake pedal area and feel anything up in there that appears to be loose enough to rattle. Tried reaching and feelings several times with lower dash trim cover off.

*** Have reached and felt as best I can in the area behind the instrument cluster and find nothing loose that might be causing rattle. Cluster has been taken out, but some panel prevents me from reaching in or seeing further in toward the firewall.

*** Have had a young man feel around under the dash while lower dash trim cover is off and I am driving, but no luck.

*** I have been unable to "push" around on the dash cover, A/C vents, A pillar cover, defroster vent area, etc. and make the rattle change sounds or disappear.

*** Rattle occurs on every road bump except the absolute smallest bump. Doesn't rattle when going very slow (15 mph - 20 mph) but present at any speed much higher. Its terrible on roads with tar expansion strips!

*** Truck has never been wrecked or in an accident.

***Occurs hot weather and cold. The sound never changes. Is definitely a "rattle" NOT a squeak. Definitely not something WD-40 can fix. Sounds to be something with a little bit of substance to it (not just some itty bitty plug-in connector touching something). Doesn't sound to be something huge banging around or that the dash is about to come apart. Just a good, old-fashion rattle.

Can anyone please help? I've listened to this for 120K miles and I've looked over and over, but can't find anything. Maybe someone out there has ideas. I bet I could find it right away if only I knew how to get behind the "panel" (for a lack of a better term) that is BEHIND the instrument cluster. This "panel" is is super obvious when the cluster is out of the dash.

THANKS from Eddie
Old August 27th, 2009, 12:46 PM
CF Junior Member

Default Help me with this &*&$@ rattle, please!

Could it be a loose bulb from the instument cluster flopping around? Is there a darkened area in the cluster anywhere?

success,
Old August 27th, 2009, 1:12 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the reply. I don't think so. I've had the cluster in and out several times and used great care checking for this. The rattle is definitely further into the dash. Thanks again from Eddie
Old August 27th, 2009, 2:53 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Rattle = something loose with a relative amount of space in which to move in, or closely spaced together coming into occasional contact.

Does it do it all the time or only:
on certain surfaces
Turning
going slow or fast
metal or plastic sounding
internal sound or on the surface
can you press on the dash to stop it

I would start out by taking some large zip ties and try snugging up some of the cable bundles behind the dash together to see what changes.

Use pieces of foam rubber to wedge in to suspect areas ( don't use stryofoam it can squeak)

Just my thought process......
Old August 27th, 2009, 3:42 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks, In2 ... great ideas ... 1.) only when moving and hitting a bump such as an expansion strip or change in height of pavement. 2.) No bumps under, say 25 mph, over 25 mph, yes. 3.) Internal (meaning way up inside the dash; not just something loose right up under the dash. 4.) I've pressed everywhere over and over and over (I've had the rattle 100K-plus miles). Has NOTHING to do with instrument cluster as I have totally removed the cluster and driven around two separate times and nothing about the rattle changes whatsoever. Zips and foam sounds great, but the problem is I can't access the area where the rattle is coming from ... it is behind some sort of panel or housing or something that the instrument cluster back up to when it is installed. This isn't part of the cluster; its right behind the cluster. I can't find a way to remove / unbolt / push this piece out of the way. I feel if I could do this, I would immediately find the source of the rattle. Anyone have thoughts on what this is and how to get behind it? Thanks again to all from Eddie!
Old August 27th, 2009, 10:06 PM
CF Beginner

I THINK I FOUND IT .... STAY POSTED AND WILL ADVISE TOMORROW !!!! -- Eddie
Old April 15th, 2022, 8:45 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by old_car_eddie
I THINK I FOUND IT .... STAY POSTED AND WILL ADVISE TOMORROW !!!! -- Eddie
I have this exact problem on my truck. Could you tell me how you fixed it? I know its been a few years, but you are the only one to be able describe what I’m dealing with exactly.
Hope to be able to hear from you.
The following users liked this post:
GoldJayy (September 27th, 2022)