Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

90 chevy 350 5.7...wont start has fuel n spark.

Old June 26th, 2011, 8:58 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 90 chevy 350 5.7...wont start has fuel n spark.

Hi all new to this fine forum. I have an issue with my truck hope you all can try and help. Sorry for the story here but I've about had it with this truck.

So it all started out running like timing was off on a 10 mile trip. Left there and it would barely do 5 MPH. Had to keep foot to floor/feathering gas to keep it running. Then died min later...so I checked all the usual. Came up with pickup coil being bad. Changed it plugs wires cap n rotor. Tested all sensors twice. Nothing else bad. Put it together and it started but ran like crap. Thinking plug wires got crossed I shut it off double checked my work. Went to start and nothing. Pulled dist. Out rotated 180 still nothing..backfired...will not start for nothing. Not even starting fluid..so I pulled timing cover off.. all looked good but decided to change out timing set while it was open. Yes I had it at TDC...still nothing...pulled cover back off double checked tdc. Put dist back in still nothing. I can see fuel spraying nice cone in tbi verified spark with spark tester. Fuel spray looks identical to my dads 93 Chev. Average of 120 Psi in all cylinders ...ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED ...I have gone through the book countless times. Triple checked any sensors it could be. Asked everyone I know. Cannot seem to diagnos the problem. Thanks Joe.
Old June 26th, 2011, 9:00 PM
CF Beginner

Oh new fuel pump and filter a year ago
Old June 26th, 2011, 10:51 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't see anything about checking the ign timing???????
Old June 26th, 2011, 11:15 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by OLD WRENCH
I didn't see anything about checking the ign timing???????

Not sure what you mean by check timing. Only way is if its running. And use timing light.
Also forgot to mention I got a new brain outta junk yard. No start with it..
could it be my throttle position sensor? It tested right I think. But someone suggested that.
The truck is so close to starting its not funny.
Another thing to add I have tried turning dist. Back and forth while cranking. Just gets further away from starting.
Old June 27th, 2011, 9:01 PM
CF Beginner

Nobody has any ideas??????
Old June 27th, 2011, 10:24 PM
CF Beginner

crankshaft position sensor it could be telling it to spark at the wrong time, i had a ignition modular go bad did the same thing but i could not see fuel spraying in to the tbi
Old June 27th, 2011, 11:56 PM
CF Beginner

Changed ignition module with everything else. Book said no crankshaft position sensor, only in '95s and up. Thanks for the reply though. Still no start.

On a side note. When I changed fuel filter again I turned truck over with fuel line OFF and the damn thing started only ran for a few seconds but it started.
So if anyone can share their thoughts on that one lets hear them. Lol
Old June 28th, 2011, 9:14 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It dont have to be running to use timming lite to check timing.Have someone crank it over while you watch where it is firing.
Old June 28th, 2011, 1:47 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by OLD WRENCH
It dont have to be running to use timming lite to check timing.Have someone crank it over while you watch where it is firing.
Not sure what good that is gonna do..when I put new timing gear set in I set it for 0 degree tdc on number 1 cylinder. That tells me it should be close enough for it to start right? Maybe turn distributor a lil for it to start. But no prevail..

Any other ideas.

Could it be the electronic spark control module? Even tho I'm getting spark.
Truck acts almost like spark timing may be off.
But you would think by turning dist. While cranking would make up for the advance or retard that the esc maybe be doing. Any thoughts.?
Old June 28th, 2011, 11:00 PM
CF Beginner

Try unplugging one of the injectors on the TBI and then try starting it if starts you are getting to much gas I had a temp sensor go bad and it was telling it to give to much gas but mine was running when it happen and the pick took off wide open its worth a shot.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 90 chevy 350 5.7...wont start has fuel n spark.