Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

'90 Silverado 1500 5.7v8 4x4 differential oil??

Search this Thread

Old August 18th, 2009, 5:59 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question '90 Silverado 1500 5.7v8 4x4 differential oil??

Hi guys new to this forum! Bought this truck about two weeks ago, replaced all filters and oils with new ones. Next I want to replace differential oils. Firstly I am curious about what type of differential is in the truck(original)? Does it have a limited slip or not? Same oil for front and rear? Any advice would be much appreciated!!
Old August 18th, 2009, 10:13 AM
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by zirk
Hi guys new to this forum! Bought this truck about two weeks ago, replaced all filters and oils with new ones. Next I want to replace differential oils. Firstly I am curious about what type of differential is in the truck(original)? Does it have a limited slip or not? Same oil for front and rear? Any advice would be much appreciated!!

welcome,you should have a 10 bolt out back....(uses sae 80w90)

the front should be a split ifs case(can use the same grade)
you would have to look at your rpo list in the glove box which gives codes for parts that came stock on your ride.the rear is probally a limited slip...to check and see if it's limited slip...If you can raise both rear wheels, then turn one by hand, watch the other one. If it turns in the same direction it's a LSD, otherwise it'll go the opposite way.

Last edited by myotherchevyisablazer; August 18th, 2009 at 10:15 AM.
Old August 18th, 2009, 12:50 PM
CF Beginner

Awesome info thanks!! One last thing "sae 80W90" is that a synthetic oil or not? Read somewhere that you have to use synthetic if you have a LSD. Oil depot in my area stocks a semi synthetic too.
Old August 18th, 2009, 1:09 PM
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by zirk
Awesome info thanks!! One last thing "sae 80W90" is that a synthetic oil or not? Read somewhere that you have to use synthetic if you have a LSD. Oil depot in my area stocks a semi synthetic too.
no it's not...you can run synthetic your choice ..better gear oil never hurt anyone you can try lucas oil....my oil choice is amsoil(very pricey)but love the results....did you test your rear to see if you had limited slip? yeah they say run special oil in the rear equiped limited slip...you should have a tag letting you know on the rear..well some do

Last edited by myotherchevyisablazer; August 18th, 2009 at 1:30 PM.