Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

91 1500 transmission help

Search this Thread

Old August 28th, 2012, 10:27 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 91 1500 transmission help

Hey guys new member and sorry to introduce myself with a hand out but I've got a 91 1500 that I could really use some help with. It's a VERY high mileage vehicle and sketchy on just about every forefront, but if I can keep it rolling you're dang straight that's what I'm going to do! Well it drove (to put it at best) for a few months after we bought it, but driving down the road one day the transmission started slipping in every gear except second. My dad and I (his truck) added some Lucas transmission treatment hoping it was as simple as a leak tonight and drove it for a little while hoping to get a response. Well we regained first but anything besides first and second just refuses to respond. It will take off but it will rev itself out and refuse to shift. I'm not accustomed to Chevy's or any engine yet and I'm hoping to use his truck and my car to be able to do so pardon me if something I say comes off as completely retarded. There is a pretty loud sucking sound audible over the engine at idle which leads me to believe that his theory of a vacuum leak is a possibility, but I'm hoping to get any possible theory as to what could be causing this. Again guys I'm terribly sorry for asking for help right after joining, and also sorry if I didn't use this forum 100% correctly because I'm just completely clueless right now. Thanks for reading this disaster of an essay and I hope to hear from you all soon
Old August 29th, 2012, 6:25 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi,

I've spent the better part of a lifetime working on automatic transmissions and can tell you that if it is slipping, there is no way around a rebuild.

Chevrolet used "lip" seals in those transmissions; they crack and will start to leak over time. A rebuild kit will run you about $225 or so.

Oh, and stay away from the snake oil additives from now on. There is absolutely no 'up side' and will actually hasten the demise of the transmission.

Allan
Old August 29th, 2012, 4:57 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Allan In NE
Hi,

I've spent the better part of a lifetime working on automatic transmissions and can tell you that if it is slipping, there is no way around a rebuild.

Chevrolet used "lip" seals in those transmissions; they crack and will start to leak over time. A rebuild kit will run you about $225 or so.

Oh, and stay away from the snake oil additives from now on. There is absolutely no 'up side' and will actually hasten the demise of the transmission.

Allan
Thanks for the input man, that was exactly what I was afraid of. However it is still a lot nicer actually knowing than to still be looking for some other miracle solution or possibility. Guess he's got some money saving to do because he has absolutely no desire to rebuild it himself and I sure as heck can't do it yet lol. Bummer, but it is what it is.