Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

91 350 5.7 stalling under load, idles ok

Search this Thread

Old February 5th, 2014, 6:56 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 91 350 5.7 stalling under load, idles ok

Hey guys, I've been lurking here for about a month trying to fix this problem, but just now registered and asking for help. I have a 91 k1500 and the problem I'm having with it is stalling under load. It starts up and idles alright sometimes there's a slight shake, but that usually goes away once it warms up. If I drive it cold it won't kill as quickly, but as soon as its at about 140* or so and I put it in gear and give it gas it bogs down and if I'm not quick enough to get it in neutral it stalls out, but once this happens once it either won't start up again and/or stays where its at until it sits awhile. Another thing I notice when it begins to die down is the battery guage drops. I don't know if that's big or just a sign it's trying to stay going, but it happens. It's been a gradual decline since November. When the problem first started happening it was only once in awhile now I can't even get out of the driveway hardly. I've replaced the fuel filter, plugs (old ones were very black), plug wires, and distributor cap to no avail. I'm looking at cleaning the injectors, cleaning the EGR, and a new air filter this weekend and possibly replacing the MAP, Coolant temp, and throttle position sensor too. Being a college student I don't have a lot of money to just throw away at all the sensors. I don't have a meter to test the sensors either. I'm just hoping someone has seen something like this or had this happen to them and can give me a couple ideas of what it could be and possibly tests that I could do. I'm no expert mechanic, but I can "work a wrench" and do most things. This has become quite the ordeal and it really stinks not having a truck to drive. Thanks guys!
Old February 6th, 2014, 2:00 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My friend is having a similar pronlem in his 93 k1500. Well when he accelerates much tbe engine bogs down and sometimes kills it. Even going down the highway. He hasnt figured jt out either and if he could throw a carburetor on it he sakd he would have but his 4l60e wont let him due to the electrics needed. Im not suggesting you put a carb on yours but you wouldnt have to worry about sensors