Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

'90 1500 5.7 4x4 auto/manual hub option?

Search this Thread

Old August 22nd, 2009, 1:08 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question '90 1500 5.7 4x4 auto/manual hub option?

My Silverado is fitted with auto-locking hubs. I have found in the past that it is sometimes handy to use the low range in a truck but not necesarily lock the front hubs.(Manual locking hubs) Only using the lower gear ratio.
Would one be able to install a switch or something that will cancell out the auto locking function when 4L/4H is engaged?
If possible, anybody done this in the past?
I stay miles from any non-tar surface, thus not engaging 4wd very often. This function would allow me to engage the front differential from time to time to keep all internal parts lubricated while driving on tar.

Any advice would be appreciated!
Old August 22nd, 2009, 7:20 AM
Super Moderator
Ride of the Month
May 2009

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It would be easy to do, the front axle is actually what is being engaged by an actuator. This has a 2 wire connection to it that you could run through a switch to allow it to lock or not. The only thing that you will notice is that the 4wd light will not come on without the front axle engaged.
Old August 22nd, 2009, 9:15 AM
CF Beginner

sound rather simple thank you! Could runnning it like that from time to time damage anything or cause problems in future?
Old August 22nd, 2009, 8:05 PM
Super Moderator
Ride of the Month
May 2009

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't do it too often or for too long, you will still be driving the front differential but with an open carrier it won't drive the wheels.
Old September 14th, 2009, 12:24 PM
CF Beginner

Question differential help again

hi there, been a while since i last requested help in connection with the front differential. I finally got round to tracing the wiring running from the differential and it seems as if there are two wires running (thin black and a thick blue) from the actuator directly to a switch on top of the transfer case. It seems as if the thicker blue one should be the one to run through the switch. Thick blue(Positive) / Thin black(neg) correct?
There seems to be another small device fitted above the actuator with wiring attached, is this some sort of sensor or something?
appreciated the feedback on last post tnx!
Old September 14th, 2009, 12:41 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

What I do to engage the 4WD every so often is wait till there's a hard rain, then run the 4WD for a few miles(while it's raining), then disengage. This way you can safely run your 4WD on the pavement for a short period without any risk of damage.