Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

93 GMC, stalling at stops

Search this Thread

Old November 16th, 2013, 3:25 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 GMC, stalling at stops

Ive asked this before, but I thought id give it another whirl, see if someone different see's it. My 93 Sierra, V-6, Auto, sometimes wants to "stall" when I begin to slow down for a red light, and then when I actually do stop, RPM's are very low, and if you try to "save" it from stalling by hitting the gas, you will kill it for sure, and its hell to re-start. The SERVICE ENGINE light does come when this starts to happen. It almost acts like the torque converter is not want to let go of it, or its not downshifting; like your stopping in 3rd..idk. I do know its getting worse. Everytime I drive it, I can count on at least 3 or four times it will do it. Whats dangerous about it, is when I'm making a yeild on green left turn, and its doing it, and I hit the gas to go, and it creeps and stutters through the turn. Ive almost taken a T-BONE a couple of times. The bad part is, the previous totaly screwed up my wiring under the dash, to where there is no plug in for a scanner.
Old November 27th, 2013, 9:15 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ya it does sound like a bad torque converter that is sticking. It could also be an EGR valve issue cause that will make it run very rough at idle too... what happens when u put in in neutral when its acting up?