Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

93 Sierra whining coming from passenger side

Search this Thread

Old September 6th, 2012, 5:04 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 Sierra whining coming from passenger side

Have a 93 stepside. I had suspected the brake calipers were sticking due to excessive brake dust on my white rally's. I put on a new caliper, on the drv. side. Re-used the old pads, they were still very thick. The caliper was obviously sticking, because when I was at walmart getting some new tires mounted I actually bought at Firestone..( I was in the parking lot taking off my own wheels because they wont mount 235/60/15's on my truck) I spun the wheel and quickly figured out why it was pulling so hard to the left. Alignment was fine...Brake caliper was sticking...causing excessive brake dust...Anyway...the pass. side seemed fine, just some rotor warping was causing a delay in the free spin of the wheel. I hear a whine coming from the passenger side that seems to go up and down in pitch with speed. Do I need to check the wheel bearing? The trucks previous pulled a boat with it. Possibly to the ocean at Corpus Christi. (I could slap the crap out of him because he used a 1/2 ton V-6 truck IN OverDrive to do it---OD is out now...wonder why?) They may have caught some salt water. This has been a Texas truck all it's life, but there is rust where we just dont get rust down here in the South unless you're at the beach.
Old September 11th, 2012, 6:01 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Replace both front brake hoses....they are the jokers that go bad.

The whine you're hearing is the front differential gears spinning...normal if one wheel is stopped.

Towing a boat won't hurt the transmission; there's really no weight there to speak of. What codes are you getting?

Allan
Old September 13th, 2012, 6:37 AM
CF Active Member

I dont have a 4X4.... OKay, its cheap enough, i'll put the hoses on, and a passenger side caliper, turn the star wheels on back drums, bleed out and see what happens....
Old September 23rd, 2012, 8:13 AM
CF Active Member

Got it fixed. Passenger side caliper. Doesnt pull anymore either.