Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

DUH! I did a naughty! NEED EMERGENCY HELP

Search this Thread

Old April 5th, 2008, 5:37 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DUH! I did a naughty! NEED EMERGENCY HELP

Ok I thought I would be cool and replace my brake fluid. Well my internet was sssssssssslllllllllooooooowwwwwwwwwww today so I only got a little bit of info on how to do this. So Ihead outand took as much fluid as I could out of the reserve tank, then bled each brake. Then I filled up the reserve tankwith new brake fluid and bam, the brakes don't work. I pump and I pump and I pump and they just wont work. I push the brake pedal and it will depress but barely even stop the truck. The reserve tank is full of fluid and does not appear to have gone down any. What do I do!?!? The only option I can think of is to tow it to a shop. Any advice on what might fix this?

Thanks

-Luke

P.S. this is the LAST time I get my care maintenance info from a shady web site![]
Old April 5th, 2008, 6:04 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: DUH! I did a naughty! NEED EMERGENCY HELP

What you should have done suck most of the fluid out, but not all....leave a bit in the bottom of the reservoir. fill the reservoir with new fluid, get a nice tall bottle of fluid and stick it upside on top so it continuosly feeds fluid. Open all four bleeders, watch the dirty fluid come out, and when it get s clean, close them off, all the while making sure the reservoir does not go empty.

By emptying the reservoir, then emptying the lines by opening the bleeders, there is now a ton of air in the system. Air compresses, which is why you have no pressure on the brakes. To get all of the air out, you may end up removing the master cylinder and bench bleeding it. You also might be trying to bleed the brakes for hours. If I were you, I would be letting the shop deal with it. It can be a real pain in the *** bleeding a system that is full of air.
Old April 6th, 2008, 12:48 AM
CF Junior Member

ok this is a sssssssssssssllllllllllllllllloooooooooooowwwwwwww www method but it will work. whats happening is that when you depress the brake pedal you push the new fluid in and you are just getting the air out. so this is one brake at a time and you will need a friend. to start close all bleedersbut one, you or the friend say with the open bleeder, fill the reserve for the brakes. close the reserve lid. now depress the brake pedal as far as it goes. then before you let up close the bleeder that you had opened. then let off the pedal. whats happening is that you depress the pedal and get a little new fluid in but then you let off and suck air right back through the bleeders. when you do this process make sure to keep the reserve full. just keep doing this till you get fluid out of the bleeder. any questions let me know ill be glad to help
Old April 7th, 2008, 11:45 PM
CF Junior Member

If your master cylinder has air in it you can bleed your brake all day and you wont get any where. Get a master cylinder bleeding kit froma autoparts store. Its just a few plastic plugs with two hose. Connect the plug inplace of your lines then run the tube back into the resevoir and slow push the brake pedal back and forth until no more bubbles. replace the brake line and now bleed the wheels.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGVnS4BetlA
Old April 8th, 2008, 6:15 PM
CF Beginner

makes sure the automatic bleeder is for ABS brakes, others wont do the job correctly, if you have ABS. also your valve in your master cylinder maybe bad, but i doubt it. also tap on your calliper lightly with hammerwhile you are bleeding it to get the air out better