Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

94 Chevy has me stumpped

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2012, 3:31 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 94 Chevy has me stumpped

Have a 94 chevy P/U 5.7L. All the sudden 1 morning got in it and it wouldn't idle for #*@!. Now before this it has been 1 strong running SOB. Popped the hood and first off noticed over the winter something needed a new home(nesting evidence on top of intake). Cleaned it off and noticed a few plug wires were a tempory dinner but no other noticable damage. So I replaced all the wires, plugs, cap, and rotor. My first instict was a vacumme leak, so grabbed the carb cleaner and began to spray around. Right around(were the nest was) the EGR and MAP sensor area I noticed the idle surge. So replaced the EGR, but still same issue afterwards. So I thought ok, maybe the intake gasket got destroyed from thew presence of the nest. So changed it. Then when setting the timming(and boy the bypass connector was a fun 1 to find-behind the glove box taped in harness) I noticed only the left injecter was spraying. So to the Hayne's wiring diagram, it shows that white on the left and red on the right injecters are spliced together somewhere down in the harness(before it reaches the ECM). So since red lead wasn't working I tried jumping the red and white together like the wiring showed. Now I set timming to 0degrees then plug the bypass back in and it idles excessivly high but both injecters are spraying. ccould ECM be bad? I can get it to idle almost perfect with bypass unplugged but not with it plugged in. Is there something else that might cause this to idle high only with it plugged in? Like CTS or IAC valve or TPS? Do they only come into play when the bypass connecter is plugged? Really stumpped here