Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

94 chevy tranny problems

Search this Thread

Old March 25th, 2014, 12:06 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 chevy tranny problems

Hi, I have been experiencing some weird tranny problems in my 94 chevy, 5.7 4l60e 4x4. First of all it will not shift into 1st or 2nd manually, but when i put it in drive and over drive they seem just fine. When i go to give it gas, not everytime though, it will make almost like a harsh metal to metal sound, not grinding but almost like something is being brushed up against something. I was told it has a corvette servo and was shifting great until recently where it wont kick my head back anymore. I realize the tranny is most likely going and the fluid smells like a manual clutch being burnt haha. Just wondering if my computer may be causing the problems?? I appreciate any help, ive used the site before and helped me greatly.
Old March 25th, 2014, 12:46 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Black smelly fluid? If so it sounds to me like you need a new transmission or complete overhaul, the clutches and other components are probably burnt to death. Valve body probably contaminated from metal shavings from the gut wrenching sound you are hearing.

Originally Posted by Meyman33
recently where it wont kick my head back anymore.
So you have a heavy foot also? If so then start shopping.
Old March 25th, 2014, 1:11 PM
CF Beginner

Yeah its not completely black, more like brown but yes very smelly, and the truck only has 173xxx and this would be its fourth transmission i believe
Old March 25th, 2014, 8:23 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might to either go to a heavy duty aftermarket transmission or change your driving style, what else have you broke or went bad since you have had the truck?
Old April 3rd, 2014, 11:44 AM
CF Beginner

I had to do my u-joints, pretty sure they were going anyways when i bought the truck but i did not help haha. Never did any break stands or anything, i was pretty easy on it. It cant be the trannys that kept getting put in it has to be something else causing them to go. It recently started kind of binding and now kinda skips, hops when i take off now and then, i didnt thing the rear end would be hopping, but it dont surprise me
Old April 3rd, 2014, 1:23 PM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

if i were you i would get a stage 3 rebuild on your transmission and while your at it get a heavy duty torque converter and a shift kit.