Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

94 chevy z71 wont start

Search this Thread

Old August 14th, 2012, 10:24 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 chevy z71 wont start

here we go pulled motor timing chain was broke i replaced it lined timing marks up double checked them put motor in have spark and the fuel comes out so hard that it bounces off butter fly valves in tbi that it gets all over the motor wasn't doing this when i pulled it ive put it on tdc number 1 the dizzy points towards 6 0r 630 i lined it up with the timing tab on 8 degrees and 0 degrees motor is board thirty over and rv cam it ran fine when chain broke all this was already done it turns over and over nothing you open the throttle and it catches fire im about to soak it diesel and have a bonfire please help It ran fine before with all the mods already just a chain swap and back in i cant remember where ground cable went on frame for battery so i put it on intake if someone has a pic where it went i will put it back the valves are hand tight was gonna set them with motor running i did this before when i put it in last year so i don't think that matters to much i pulled heads to replace valve guide seals ive tried putting distributer 180 but it wont set in oil shaft any help is appreciated
Old August 14th, 2012, 10:51 PM
CF Beginner

sorry dizzy points towards 5 and 530
Old August 15th, 2012, 1:56 AM
CF Active Member

ya didnt take the timing gears off did ya? I'd make sure the timing marks are lined up perfectly. then retard the timing a couple smidgens might help keep the flame in the cylinder a little longer.
As for the ground for the battery, you want to ground it to the FENDER as close to the battery as possible. if there is a hole there already, use it, if not drill one and scratch the paint off so your cable can touch fresh metal.
once you make sure your timing marks are right example: http://www.chiltonpro.com/content/im...s/7924KG21.gif

use your timing light to get it right on the money, then retard it a little. Thats what I did with my 350 with 30 over,
then if your skeeting out too much fuel... start with a fuel pressure test. If its right on the money, you got something jacked up in your carb/TFI, maybe its in choke mode? try disconnecting your fuel pump till you get the engine timed about right, feed it fuel with a squirt bottle. I cant help ya with the factory TFI stuff, I'd ditch it for a holley 750 double pumper. If you need any electrical schematics let me know I got the book.