Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

95 1500 4WD Trans reverse does nothing for a few seconds then slams into gear.

Search this Thread

Old December 16th, 2014, 1:01 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 1500 4WD Trans reverse does nothing for a few seconds then slams into gear.

Hello Fellow Chevy Fans,

My 95 Silverado 1500 4WD will not move in reverse for a few seconds of giving it power then all of a sudden it will slam into reverse. If giving it to much fuel it will spin the rear tires (tach redlined). Once it "breaks" loose it works fine for quiet awhile. Then out of the blue it does it again. It does not matter which position the 4WD is in it still does the same thing.

The vehicle has 179,000 miles on it and is used for plowing.

It seems as if something is holding it back then snaps loose and away it goes. I have no clue if it is a trans, transfer case, or even a differential problem.

I have never experienced this in my 43 years of Chevy PU ownership.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mr. Magoo
Old December 17th, 2014, 12:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would assume its the transmission. In my experience on those 88-98 Chevy 4 speed trans, reverse starts going out like that, the forward gears are soon to follow. But that's been my experience, and my issues tend to be unique.
Old December 18th, 2014, 10:59 AM
CF Beginner

I have seen many (as in too) Chevy trannies go in this fashion even back to the early 3 speeds. The thing is they normally start to slip a bit then a bit more then go completely. Then "usually" first will start to slip then it is time for a replacement/repair of your choice.

I have never seen one do what this one is doing. Not moving for a bit then getting that SLAM and working fine sometimes for days even weeks. This is why I am not so sure it is the transmission causing this behavior.

The other problem is as normally happens, when you bring it to the shop it works just as nice as can be. Sorta like kids at Christmas time.
Old December 18th, 2014, 3:14 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your transmission is a bit long in the tooth, but your symptom just screams plugged filter. Especially so, if it is worse when cold.
Old December 19th, 2014, 4:46 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Allan In NE
Your transmission is a bit long in the tooth, but your symptom just screams plugged filter. Especially so, if it is worse when cold.

I had the filter and oil changed less than 30,000 miles ago. It is the BANGING into gear that has me scratching my head. It also does this cold or hot it is spontaneous.