Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

95 C2500 Silverado Turbo Diesel -can anyone diagnose these problems/symptoms?

Search this Thread

Old September 7th, 2009, 11:44 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 C2500 Silverado Turbo Diesel -can anyone diagnose these problems/symptoms?

First of all, It had a stalling problem, big time. Replaced the fuel filter (the big one on engine) -no change. Replaced the fsd to a remote location and stalling is completely gone. After a few months of driving, I replaced the broken ground strap (engine to frame) with one I fabricated from booster cables. I also replaced left front caliper. Other repairs include exaust, brakes, etc...

330,000 Km or 143,000 miles on odometer

I've got other symptoms that I need help on.

Here goes.

1. In normal hwy driving, it seems to "hiccup". It seems as, for a split second, someone cut off the fuel supply and then continues -no stalling. I can drive for hours before it happens again. It happens rarely but I don't know if it's fuel supply related or if the tranny can slip whilst cruising at a constant speed.

2. Blower motor resistor -blower, until yesterday only worked in "high" position -then just stopped all together. I'm not sure where the blower motor resistor is located. Looks like it's under glove box, right at firewall -can someone verify?

3. Guages "jump". Oil pressure and Temp. I thought the grounding strap would cure it but before I replaced ground strap, temp guage stopped working all together. Oil pressure guage still jumps off the scale and then back to normal -usually after cold start, then levels out after driving for awhile. Water temp was behaving similarly until it died. Also the battery guage drops under simple load. i.e. as turn signals flash, guage drops as lights go on.

4. Howling from rear-end (mainly on decelleration). Pinion seal needs to be replaced. I've topped up fluid but no drastic change. I was thinking I'd pull the back plate, drain fluid, replace rear and pinion seals and add new fluid with anti friction additive ("Bitron"). Could this help?

5. Sluggush/BLACK SMOKE. It's my first diesel and I know they are a bit more sluggish than gas engines but I don't know how sluggish is normal. There's a spot that I go to (gas station) that when I leave, I have to almost floor it from a stop in order to merge with traffic. From the rear view mirror, I can see black smoke pouring out from the tailpipe . That's about the only time I notice it. A friend suggested fuel injectors. Yes/no? If so, should I try getting the injectors flushed first, before changing?

6. Intermittent pulsation in front brakes. Usually, it brakes smoothly but sometimes there's a heavy pulstation in steering wheel when brakes are applied. A friend suggested that possibly other caliper was starting to seize. Verification/suggestions please.

I've been doing a lot of research on this and there's a lot of "upgrades" out there. I'd like to get the truck running "normally" first before trying to hop it up.

Sorry for the lengthy post. Hope you can help.

ross
Old September 7th, 2009, 2:48 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the blower resistor is behind the glove box, you can get to it by removing the glove box, as for the other problems, are you sure there are absolutely no codes?, as for the rear end, when you change the pinion seal make sure the vent is open and take a good look at everything and make sure the spider gears are not shot, how many miles are on this crate?
Old September 8th, 2009, 5:46 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the resistor info. I thought I could see it from the floor -good thing I didn't remove the wrong part!

I did get a code scan done but he told me to bring it back for a re-scan after I replaced the fsd and ground strap. -The engine light randomly goes on and off also.

The vent hole? Is that the same as the filler hole? What kind of wear do I look for on the spider gears -discolor or pieces missing?

330,000 Km or 143,000 miles on odometer
Old September 8th, 2009, 11:14 PM
CF Active Member

randomly off and on doesn't sound very good, definately get the codes, when the diff. is driven down the road it creates heat and when it does that it tries to create pressure on the diff., the pressure is released through the vent hose usually, on these, mounted on the axle housing in a tee fitting with the brake line, 1000 points to the one who can tell me what happens when the vent gets plugged up
Old September 9th, 2009, 6:13 AM
CF Beginner

Default 1 Down..

I changed the blower resistor last night. That was an extreme pain!

Plugged it all in and it (the fan) wouldn't run! Before I took things apart again, I started feeling around for loose connections. There's a cable with a plug (I assume this connects the fan -didn't have time to trace it) that has a loose connection. When I moved it, the fan came on and worked in all positions. However, here's the problems since install:
1. The connector cable is quite hot
2. The ammeter/battery guage is constantly riding a little lower. It still also drops to the rhythm of the turn indicators.
3. When I turned the key on, it seemed like there were 2 "pops" -like heavy bass from a speaker. Radio power was off. I tried it again and same thing but hasn't done it since. Fan works, radio works, and no blown fuses.
Old September 9th, 2009, 9:00 PM
CF Active Member

how low is "a little lower?" and is it getting worse or did it level off? My 93 voltmeter moves with the turn signals too, its no big deal, its just the fact the alternator cant keep up with the flasher.
Old September 10th, 2009, 7:05 AM
CF Beginner

I had a faulty EGR Valve causing my engine check light to go on and off, and in the early 90's GMs EGR was know to cause sluggish performance on the highway. I was having more and more problems with my 94 6.5L as far as sluggishness and shutting off all together. Check your fuel lines, they used steel back then and mine had rotted out causing air to get into the system, the truck still ran, but poorly. If that is the case, I also had to replace my steel brake lines and master cylinder because the fuel leaking on them had speed up that as well. If your fuel lines are fine the next place I would check... from experience... your lift pump. Hopefully your 6.5L doesnt do what mine did, 1994 181,000 miles, new; lift pump, fuel and brake lines, master cylinder, engine block heater, brakes/rotors/calipers, glow plugs/GP lines/GP sensor, transmission, injector pump totaling around $9,000.00 in 4 years and then under normal driving cracked a head.
Old September 10th, 2009, 10:21 PM
CF Active Member

i don't want to say this but everybody is thinking it... the 6.5 is a pile, sorry to all the loyalists but it is a total heap