Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

'95 ext cab stepside Chevy fixer upper

Search this Thread

Old December 18th, 2013, 11:47 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It runs. It drives. It stops. All so smooth. I figured it would be problem after problem on my first motor swap but really, aside from a couple wrong parts, it slid together perfectly. Several hours & 1100 bucks later this is what I ended up with. But I have the matching green hood (just wasn't around, & can't fit it in my gf's moms car) & the chrome grill/smooth chrome bumper, few other bits & pieces too. All together I am extremely happy with it!!
Attached Thumbnails '95 ext cab stepside Chevy fixer upper-1995-chevy.jpg  
Old December 19th, 2013, 5:19 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should call it Frankentruck -- as it seems to be an amalgam of parts from different vehicles. If you are going to 'construct' a vehicle in that manner, a Chevrolet truck is probably one of the best platforms on which to do it.

Good luck with resurrecting this soon-to-be classic!
Old December 21st, 2013, 6:56 PM
CF Junior Member

Baaaad news. Trans issues. Goes into 1st smooth, firm, shifts from first to second smooth, no lag no slip, & into third... Nothing. Just revs up. Of course this transmission is all electronic so it's a bit more difficult for me to diagnose. That & of course the fact I've never done transmission work. I was really hoping the transmission would be solid & I could swap the servo out for a 'Vette servo, flush & new filter & have a damn good trans. Looks like I didn't get very lucky... But motor wise it's strong all wiring is done, no leaks fuild wise or exhaust wise starts in the 5 degree weather on its own idles smooth... Runs a bit rich but this can be fixed later. Maybe doing a tranny flush & filter will knock something loose tomorrow & cause it to shift. It would barely go into second but now tonight it goes in smooth & firm....
Old December 24th, 2013, 9:32 PM
CF Junior Member

Trans has been swapped ot for the 700R4 out of my '93 GMC. Was a relatively easy swap really, laid my old truck on its side (going to scrap yard when snow clears up, so, why not) & started chopping/torching stuff out of the way. I would like to install a shift kit for this trans & possibly a Corvette servo swap. Seems a little laggy in between gear shifts.... It's old. Took it to a family Christmas deal tonight & the only problems so far are the heater, headlights, & the exhaust came apart little ways after y-pipe where I used a coupler for easy removal, after I made the y-pipe to fit the headers.

Frankentruck? I don't think that's quite what I am going for here! I just graduated, so should have the money to finish fixing it up as I'm working full time now... If anything is frankentruck, it's what I bought today. An older BMW body on a K5 Blazer frame, 350/700R4 fullsize axles 33's fuel cell electric fans... But that's another story:P
Old December 24th, 2013, 9:36 PM
CF Junior Member

Oh yeah, &, I found a 12"x6" air filter I'd like to build custom top & bottom plates to mount on this TBI injected motor. It may require a cowl hood, which, I have 4 stock hoods laying around... ;D
Old December 27th, 2013, 8:31 PM
CF Junior Member

Running 31" on the '95 Alloys & 225s on the '93 steels... I think it looks kinda tough really.
Attached Thumbnails '95 ext cab stepside Chevy fixer upper-1995-chevy-wash.jpg  
Old December 29th, 2013, 9:31 PM
CF Junior Member

I'm looking into shift kits now, any suggestions? Thinking about the B&M shift improver kit, for only around 40$. With the addition of a corvette servo (around 20$) & a new filter fresh fluid & some Lucas.

I found this random 4x14" air filter in my scrap pile, today. It replaced the factory 3x12" filter. Had to fabricate a new stud for the wing nut, stock was to short.

Fixed one headlight, so now I have three. Still need to find another assembly for the drivers low beam. Also got my nice new Pioneer radio in..... Tomorrow really need to fix heater blower motor, getting cold out again!
Attached Thumbnails '95 ext cab stepside Chevy fixer upper-b-m.jpeg   '95 ext cab stepside Chevy fixer upper-chevy-intake.jpg  
Old January 6th, 2014, 11:03 PM
CF Junior Member

Well there goes that 700R4. Hauled my scrap load in today, thinking hey I'll get paid, run to the parts store on the way home & grab the tranny stuff & be alright. Nope. Burned it up. I don't know what to do. With a 350/5 speed this would be a pretty desirable truck I think... I'll see what I can do
Attached Thumbnails '95 ext cab stepside Chevy fixer upper-gmc-death.jpg  
Old January 19th, 2014, 10:14 PM
CF Junior Member

Looks like five speed swap it is... Saving the money up as we speak. Found one out of a '88 V6 half ton that's complete, a NV3500. Changed the oil in truck today am running thinner oil than the previous owner was, now. Got some cool little valve cover filters for it.. I have an extra set of heads I am thinking about having redone & machined for when I want to do cam swap.

Just thoughts. Priority is finishi- er, starting five speed swap.
Old February 4th, 2014, 11:44 AM
CF Junior Member

Now I've got a Turbo 400, with a B&M shift kit & 20K miles on the rebuild. New ujoints, center support bearing. I swapped the factory alloy wheels for a set of 18" wheels & tires... & adapters. I can now run 5X4.5 wheels too. Tires aren't bad, but, little to small for my likes. Looking into a set of 255-55-18 Michellin HX's...

I've also got around 4" of lowering kit... All I've done so far is the rear shackles. Snow is slowing me down. Learned already that you just cut the bolts, don't bother trying to get them out.

These are before pictures. Finish lowering it put the 400 in & driveshaft, wheels & tires, & my chrome & matching green hood... Couple other goods I'll share later.
Attached Thumbnails '95 ext cab stepside Chevy fixer upper-20140130_180359.jpg   '95 ext cab stepside Chevy fixer upper-20140130_180407.jpg   '95 ext cab stepside Chevy fixer upper-20140130_180418.jpg   '95 ext cab stepside Chevy fixer upper-20140130_180428.jpg  

Quick Reply: '95 ext cab stepside Chevy fixer upper