Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Stereo for my son for Christmas Help please

Search this Thread

Old December 11th, 2008, 9:44 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stereo for my son for Christmas Help please

Has anyone replaced the stereo in their Chevy Silverado 2002?I want to do this for my 16 year old son forChristmas. I'm on a budget so I'd like ittobe nice but can't do a lot of custom stuff. I have no idea where to begin and would like outside opinion before heading to the stereo store. If anyone has any advice on brand, speakers,accessories etc it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Leza
Old December 11th, 2008, 3:43 PM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: Stereo for my son for Christmas Help please

go to a best buy or circuit city and buy from them, and pay the $40 for installation and they will do everything for you. That way you can ask if that unit will fit and they can show you what all you need to be able to do the installation yourself if thats what you would rather do.
Old December 11th, 2008, 4:26 PM
CF Active Member

i dont know about your bestbuy and circuit city around you but i wouldnt let my locals even sit in my truck cause they are some retards
Old December 11th, 2008, 5:02 PM
CF Junior Member

haha, I let Circuit City put my remote start in my old truck, and when/if I had problems with or when I had them relocate the wires, they did it free of charge and that was after 1 year of already having it on there. I am from the Toledo Ohio area so if your close to there, they are good. lol.
Old December 11th, 2008, 5:04 PM
CF Junior Member

if you decide to DIY, just buy the unit you want, then buy a GM installation kitthat will fit for the 2002 model(the plasctic piece that holds the unit in the dash) and you will have to wire it up yourself. Follow the instructions. The unit should come with the new wires you need and the antena connector (not sure on the correct terms).
Old December 11th, 2008, 9:14 PM
CF Junior Member

well no matter what you get 16 year old it will not be loud enough, but you should be able to get a sony for around 150 or less.speakers will be extra though
Old December 15th, 2008, 1:41 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for all the suggestions, I decided no best buy or circuit city, best buy has the worst return policy and circuit city just filed for bankruptcy. So I purchased from autotoys they were very helpful and listed the necessary dash kit, gm wiring kit and antenna to go with the panasonic stereo and pioneer speakers that Ipurchased. My Brother said he would install.The accessories came to about 20.00. I had to laugh at the "it won't be loud enough for the 16 year old" response. Your probably right!!! This is a great forum and after Christmas I'll let my son in on it. Thanks again Leza