Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

97 1500 5.7 weird spark problem. Help

Search this Thread

Old May 25th, 2012, 12:24 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 97 1500 5.7 weird spark problem. Help

Hi all. Well this thing is the multiport (poppet) injection. It is very weird. Just driving and it popped and died. Won't start again. It acts like it is out of time, turning hard. I checked and it has fuel pressure and holds it. I checked the spark and it has good spark from the coil wire. The problem is that it isn't getting spark at the plugs. I installed a new cap and rotor and wires and plugs. It fires at the plugs like 2 or 3 times and then stops firing. when I check at the coil wire it is firing. I installed a new ignition control module. Still the same thing. Spark at the coil wire, fires like 2 or 3 times at the plug and then stops firing. Any help here would be really appreciated. I am stumped and getting broke from all these dealer parts. So that's my story and I'm sticking to it. Thanks for any info people.
Old June 1st, 2012, 8:04 AM
CF Beginner

Somebody has to know something. Please people, I really need some help here.
Old June 1st, 2012, 8:46 AM
CF Beginner

Computer can disable ignition but you would not get spark at the coil. (am assuming you use the center wire from the cap, also assuming you still get coil spark after it quits at the plugs).

Do you have any codes?, like cam sensor? Crank position sensors are known to quit after a few minutes, or seconds, of running but you should have a code.

Check to make sure the rotor is pointed at the #1 wire post when #1 is at the timing mark near TDC. If it is half way between wire posts spark can't jump the gap and it has jumped time somehow. Also look to see if the impulse lobe is lined up with the sensor.
Old June 1st, 2012, 7:47 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What color is the spark at the coil?
Old June 1st, 2012, 8:22 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

sounds to me like it jumped time
Old June 2nd, 2012, 8:56 AM
CF Beginner

You guys were right on. The distributor gear was bad. It was deceiving. I checked the distributor timing the very first thing and it was on. When I checked it again yesterday I had a different person turning the key to get it into tdc and noticed it jumping up and not moving. When I got it to tdc, the rotor was way off this time. So I yanked the distributor and the gear was fried. Thank goodness the gear on the cam looks good. I did notice that the entire new distributor seems to wobble a lot. The intake looks fine though. What a screwy design. It runs great though. Thank you for your help.
Old June 2nd, 2012, 9:46 PM
CF Beginner

Are you saying that the distributor housing wobbles?? Dude, that's not good!! You need to find out why. Leave it that way and it will prolly munch annother gear.