Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

97 1500 Express Starting/Stalling problem

Search this Thread

Old March 12th, 2013, 10:45 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 1500 Express Starting/Stalling problem

Hi guys. I have been spending a lot of time on here as a guest. I appreciate all the information provided. This question is a bit more unique. I Have owned this truck for about a year. At about months of owning it, I have noticed it took more than one or two starts to actually get it going. I then have started seeing the fuel gauge bounce as I was driving it. As time progressed the vehicle went from 2 or 3 cranks to start, to 3 or 4. If it was cold (i live in michigan) I would have to grab the ether to start it. Once started and ran the truck wouldn't have any problem starting up. I have also noticed, sometimes the fuel gauge would be bottomed out either while started or just with the key turned.

Okay, now with the real big issue. Today, I had tried to start it. even with the ether, it still wasn't starting. I finally got it going and went to drive off. It stalled as soon as I gave it gas. Startedd it again, fired right up, drove off and pull out onto the street. I went to accelerate and it stalled complety at about 25mph. took forever for it to start again. I let it run for about 15 min and tried to drive off it drove fine under 25mph but once i gave it gas it just would die. I would pull off the gas and once it was under 25 and the engine was back running.

Everytime I turn the key I can hear the fuel pump turn on. after about 20 times of it tuning on it stopped. Normally it always turns on. I replaced the fuel filter. I also read there is another filter on the pump and I have not changed that. Any suggestions?

Mark