Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

97 5.7L Silverado. Oil Cooler lines, which goes where on rad?

Search this Thread

Old June 19th, 2012, 8:35 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 5.7L Silverado. Oil Cooler lines, which goes where on rad?

Hi Guys

I have oil cooler lines coming from the oil filter housing, the OUT line from the filter housing is running to the bottom of the rad and the IN line is running to the TOP of the rad....Should I reverse these lines? I'm getting a deep knocking during start up and wondering if its from the oil lines....could also be something with the flywheel since this has a tinging which comes directly from the flywheel bell housing
Old June 20th, 2012, 6:47 PM
CF Active Member

Sounds like one of the flywheel bolts has backed out and is litely kissing the back of the block. Pull the flywheel inspection cover and check it out...easy fix...I could be wrong though. Noises are a process of elimination.
Old April 10th, 2014, 9:23 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by 96 Junk That Moves
Sounds like one of the flywheel bolts has backed out and is litely kissing the back of the block. Pull the flywheel inspection cover and check it out...easy fix...I could be wrong though. Noises are a process of elimination.
Forgive me.. I am a newbie. Mine is making a noise that could fit this bill as well.. I remember pulling the inspection cover to check for a leak of the rear main (ended up being leaky oil cooler lines) and if I remember right, I could barely see inside. I would like to check my fly wheel bolts as well, I have two questions; 1. Does this sound like the same cover you are referring to and 2. Can you inspect and tighten the bolts if loose from here or does this require transmission removal from this point? For the life of me, I cannot remember why I could barely peer in there, this was not on a lift mind you, it was a jack stand/from the back attack... Thanks
Old April 11th, 2014, 9:18 AM
CF Senior Member

There is a plastic cover by your starter that is an inspection window for the fly wheel. You do not need to remover trans, just remove the plastic piece.To get to all three of em, have truck in neutral and you can use a pry bar to rotate the flywheel or however you want to make the flywheel turn. Once you do this then you can inspect all flywheel bolts. I believe that yall are talking about bolts that hold torque converter to flywheel because you said touching the back of block. Hope this helps you out
Old April 12th, 2014, 9:56 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Fishinfooleric10@aol.com
There is a plastic cover by your starter that is an inspection window for the fly wheel. You do not need to remover trans, just remove the plastic piece.To get to all three of em, have truck in neutral and you can use a pry bar to rotate the flywheel or however you want to make the flywheel turn. Once you do this then you can inspect all flywheel bolts. I believe that yall are talking about bolts that hold torque converter to flywheel because you said touching the back of block. Hope this helps you out
Hey thanks Pal. I will check that out. Appreciate it.
Old April 12th, 2014, 11:31 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cooling oil always runs from bottom to top at the radiator.

Allan