Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

98 1500 No start unless I pour fuel down throttle body, fuel pressure good & new pump

Old November 6th, 2011, 8:28 PM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 98 1500 No start unless I pour fuel down throttle body, fuel pressure good & new pump

Please help!! 98 Silverado 1500 4.3 Vortek, We have spark & fuel. new cap & rotor, new fuel pump. The only time it starts and runs is if we pour fuel down the throttle body. Once it burns that it dies out. New cap rotor and fuel pump did not do a thing to get it running. I want to check the injector pulse, voltage, and ground. I have a multi meter but cannot find a pin layout for either the plug at the manifold or PCM. Can anyone direct me to finding a pin layout and required pulse voltage. I inspected the wire harness because it is getting cold here and though mice may have chewed something. The fact that it runs when we dump gas down rules out spark, and we have plenty of fuel pressure (at least 60psi). The only thing I can think of is the injectors aren't firing. Not even a fart from this thing.
The following 2 users liked this post by gdavies07:
Garret Suchowolec (March 9th, 2021), Ronnie post (October 26th, 2023)
Old November 6th, 2011, 8:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the forum. The fuel injectors are supplied the ignition voltage (battery voltage with key in RUN or START) on the PNK wires from the 20A ECM-1 fuse in the underhood fuse block. The VCM then grounds the other side to trigger the fuel. The VCM determines the injector timings from the CMP sensor input.
Old November 7th, 2011, 11:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

you may also have a bad fuel pressure regulator. this comes into play under the upper plenum, so you will still see fuel pressure up to the motor, but if the regulator is dead, then you won't actually get fuel thru the injectors. it's really a simple job, couple hours work and you're done. the regulator is under the upper intake plenum, mounted directly to the center injection unit, also called the spider.
The following users liked this post:
Ronnie post (October 31st, 2023)