Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2002 1500HD fuel and horn problem

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2008, 11:52 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 1500HD fuel and horn problem

Hey Guys,
I have a 2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 4x4 crewcab.
I'm having problems with the horns not working and the fuel guage not working right.
Here is what's going on
On the horn issue:
When I try to honk the horn I get nothing
I checked the fuse......... OK
I checked the relay next to the fuse. Seems to be ok
When I unpluged the horns and my buddy got under the truck with a test light and I tried to honk the horn it seems no power is getting to the horns.
So somewhere between the horn and the steering wheel is the issue
Also the truck has a factory alarm that the horns seen to be hooked in to.
Seems the factory alarm wants to work when I hit the panic button on the remote. Everything flashes, so I don't think it's the alarm.
I'm thinking, but hoping it's not the problem is the switch in the steering wheel under the air bag. I hope this isn't the problem because I really don't want to mess with the air bags.
If one horn is bad and one is good, would that be part of the problem and would that make both horns not work?
Any help or input would be helpful
Also, does anyone know where I can get the wire diagram to trace this problem down? It would be nice if I could get a copy of it and have someone help me trace down the problem and get it fixed. I hate driving without horns not working. Too many idiots out there for me not to have a horn. Also since it's tied into the alarm I would want it fixed ASAP so if someone tries to break into the truck I'll hear them.

I went to a chevy dealer today and the one service writer was kind of a D**K about it. What they really wanted was the 100.00 to tell me what's wrong with it and then I could fix it. Really didn't think that was cool at all. I mean I'm already going there to buy the parts from them. At least they can be a little helpful on people that want to repair their cars. The guys in the parts department are the ones who told me to get a print out from the service guys in the first place.

OK, on to the next issue on the truck
Seems that when the truck gets low on fuel it runs out of gas before the low fuel light comes on. Then after it runs out of gas and I have to somewhat sputter to the curb the low fuel light comes on then. I thought that the low fuel light comes on there should be a couple GAL's of gas still in the tank? Someone told me that this might mean the trucks computer might be off and needs to be reset or something like that. Me, I'm thinking the guage in the tank is not set right. Also I heard it could be the dash guage is off.
Any ideas on fixing this problem?

I hope I've made the problems clear enough so someone out there can give me a hand with this.
Old May 10th, 2008, 12:10 AM
Super Moderator

Default RE: 2002 1500HD fuel and horn problem

Welcome to the forum!!! For the horn I would track down the wires for the horn looking for a disconnected/cut wiresomewhere.Not sure what can be done about the gas level, besides not letting the tank get that low.
Old May 10th, 2008, 12:26 AM
CF Beginner

I did do some tracking of the wires, but it would help if I could get a print out of the wiring diagrams to help. Do you think the horns not working could be tired into the alarm system?
Yeah I learned the hard way after the 2nd time I ran out of gas. Now I don't let it go under 1/4 of a tank........ LOL
Old May 10th, 2008, 11:31 AM
Super Moderator

The alarm should only tap into one of the horn lines, so that shouldn't be a problem, unless where they tapped came apart or they did a poor job of doing it. Are there two or only onehorn? Because if there is only one them it maybe just dead. The way you can test it is disconnect it and run some jumper wires to it form the battery and see if it makes noise, be sure to to wear ear protection because it will probably loud if it is working properly. Made that mistake once in acar barn, felt likeI was sitting in a bell with someone hitting itwith asledge hammer on the other side.Needless to say, "IT HURT!!"
Old May 10th, 2008, 4:56 PM
CF Beginner

WOO HOO! Horns now work. I feel like a total idiot now. Long story short. I checked everything I could except the contact switch under the airbag. I checked the fuse ect. Well when I checked the relay, which I thought was the relay for the horn and it seemed to be ok. Now here is the part I feel stupid on. Seems what I thought was the horn relay wasn't the horn relay after all. Seems dumb *** I bought the truck from pulled the horn relay out and never put anything back in the slot. So what I thought was the horn relay was in fact the relay just above the horn. So not really looking close at the fuse box I thought the relay was there in the first place and just assumed that was the correct relay. My guess is ******** blew another relay and just did a swap and never bought a replacement relay. So now all I have to do is get a relay and plug the sucker in and I'm good to go. So "GUY WITH THE TRUCK" comes out to buy some of my YFZ450 quaditems I have for sale and he takes a look at it and found the problem in a couple of minutes. Man do I feel like such a dork now........... LOL
So I hooked him up with some extras for his YFZ and no charge. I hope I hook him up good because he just save me a lot of time banging my head trying to find out what the problem was. I'm sure I would have figured it sooner or later, but he found it out way sooner then I did.

Thanks a million GUY WITH THE TRUCK

Now the only problem I have now is with the fuel guage issue.
Keep me post GUY WITH THE TRUCK if there is a recall on that problem. That would be cool if there is a recall and I get it done at no charge.