Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

'98 K1500 fuel pressure regulator

Search this Thread

Old August 31st, 2010, 10:09 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's a link to the Carter fuel pumps.
http://www.carterfueldelivery.com/fuelpumps/
Old September 1st, 2010, 7:01 AM
CF Beginner

Well I just talked to my son this morning, he's actually in Iowa on a job site. After getting the Fuel regulator put in last night he tried to start it and when he started cranking it it hit once but didn't start, so he let off and tried it again and this time it just barley turned like 1/2 of a revolution, just like the battery was dead. They jumped with another vehicle and it didn't change at all. Battery was showing 12 volts already but he just wanted to make sure.
I don't see how this is possible? Is it possible the cylinder is full of fuel?
Any ideas? It went from cranking full speed to barely turning, and it's doing the barley turn every time now.
Old September 1st, 2010, 7:59 PM
CF Beginner

Update...He didn't get the regulator put in right and it was spraying fuel inside the plenum thus flooding the engine. He's putting it back together right now, I'll let you know if it fixes the problem. After researching on the net I'm pretty confident it will fix it since I have read of several other people having the same problem and the new regulator fixed it.
Old September 1st, 2010, 8:03 PM
CF Beginner

This time I had him check for leaks before he put the plenum back on.
Old September 1st, 2010, 8:11 PM
CF Active Member

when I converted to a TPI system, I asked about the fuel reg' on my 97. the answer was "there is none" the popet valves on the injectors act as the regulators,????? just what I was told ????? more than likely the pump has a bad check valve that lets the fuel drain out of the lines durring shutdown.
Old September 1st, 2010, 9:28 PM
CF Beginner

I just talked to him, it fired right up and he was taking it for a test drive, it now runs better than it has in a long time! We'll find out for sure about the cold start after it has set for a couple of days, but the regulator was definitely bad and causing a lot of his problems. He may still need a new fuel pump but he'll find that out later.
Thanks for your help guys, keep up the good work!
Old April 16th, 2011, 1:54 AM
CF Beginner

Regulators reduce the flow of gas from a supply tank to a level that is safe to use. These devices usually consist of a gauge measuring the pressure level in the gas cylinder, and another gauge measuring the pressure of gas flowing through the hose.
Before using a regulator, it's extremely important to make sure the device meets all of the necessary requirements for use in oxy-fuel cutting operations. Regulators should also be kept in good condition, inspected before each use and repaired when needed only by a properly trained professional.
Here are some additional safety precautions for using gas regulators:
• Always be sure to close the regulator valve before opening the valve to the gas cylinder. Check the manufacturer's guide if you have any uncertainty concerning the open and close positions of the regulator valve.
• Using a wrench of the correct size is important when connecting regulators to gas cylinders. Prevent causing damage to the regulator by avoiding a forced connection.
• Avoid high pressure gas surges from regulators by slowly opening the cylinder valve. When doing this, make sure to stand to the side of the regulator, not in front or behind.
• If a leak is suspected, immediately turn off all equipment. Once all equipment is shut down, proceed to check for leaks using a regulatory agency-approved detection method.
Old April 16th, 2011, 7:36 AM
CF Beginner

Just thought I'd give an update....my son replaced the fuel regulator on his truck back in August of '10 and it's still running perfect, starts right up even if it has set for a few days. He's still running the Carter fuel pump, it's been in there a little over a year now. Check that, it's been 2 years now.

Last edited by champion88; April 21st, 2011 at 10:53 PM.