Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

98 Silverado 5.7, injectors not getting pulse?

Old July 26th, 2012, 10:07 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 98 Silverado 5.7, injectors not getting pulse?

I have a 98 Silverado with 5.7, it was recently in an accident, but the only damages are the airbags popped and the plastic under the bumper got broke off, well when i finally got home to check it out the battery was dead, jumped it, it started fine, drove fine then i parked it, next day it fired once and hasn't started on its own since.

Here's what I've done and checked out: NEW fuel pump, filter, pressure regulator, crank sensor, ignition module. Fuel pressure reads 61 psi and holds. Has blue spark. And will start with starting fluid down TB. All fuses and relays are fine. I shouldn't have thrown parts at it, hoping for a quick fix. So whats left? Injectors or PCM?

Also, once when pulling fuses on it the truck started cranking over on its own, no key in ignition, keys were in my pocket, had to loosen battery cables to stop it, but hasn't done it since...

Last edited by Goose25; July 26th, 2012 at 10:14 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Ronnie post (October 27th, 2023)
Old July 26th, 2012, 11:15 AM
CF Monarch

Received 336 Likes on 317 Posts

When you put starting fluid in the TB, does it start and stay running or does it run for a few seconds and stop?
Old July 26th, 2012, 1:13 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by oldchevy
When you put starting fluid in the TB, does it start and stay running or does it run for a few seconds and stop?
If it stays running, the fuel system is draining back to the tank is a likley problem. What isn't clear to me if what oldchevy is asking, and what I am stating, if the fuel is draining back to tank, the fuel pump should pressurize the system with key on. Do you have a weak crank, as in low battery when trying to start?
Old July 27th, 2012, 11:32 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by oldchevy
No, it dies once the starting fluid is burnt up.
Old July 27th, 2012, 11:34 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by kevinkpk
If it stays running, the fuel system is draining back to the tank is a likley problem. What isn't clear to me if what oldchevy is asking, and what I am stating, if the fuel is draining back to tank, the fuel pump should pressurize the system with key on. Do you have a weak crank, as in low battery when trying to start?
I've used a couple new batteries to crank over, I've been trying to figure this out for about a month now.
Old July 27th, 2012, 11:36 AM
CF Beginner

I also forgot to add that after cranking for a several short bursts, the plugs are still dry as can be...
Old July 27th, 2012, 12:59 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Well, I'd say PCM since none of them are fireing. You could put a pick test light wihile cranking no lights not power. I don't have a 98 book, but 99 shows pcm controls the injectors. I've had a misfire issue with one injector on my 3.1, but it was just one.
Old May 31st, 2020, 10:07 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ever find the fix

I have a 2000 GMC K2500 with the same issue i have tried everything. It has spark cranks has 65psi fuel pressure, it is as if it has no fuel injector pulse. I can try to start it and then pull a plug and its dry. So its like its got no fuel but has 65psi at the testing port. Spark is blue and we have the battery on a constant charge. I have also tried 3 different ECUs all with the same engine and transmission out of the scrap yard.
Old May 31st, 2020, 11:41 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

any dtc?
you need a crankshaft signal for injector pulse....monitor rpm data with a scan tool and crank the engine over. you should see approx. 200 when cranking...if you get zero rpm there is no crank signal to the pcm
Old June 3rd, 2020, 5:35 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tech2
any dtc?
you need a crankshaft signal for injector pulse....monitor rpm data with a scan tool and crank the engine over. you should see approx. 200 when cranking...if you get zero rpm there is no crank signal to the pcm
Thank you. I need to run the tests but i need a better scan tool first. no dtc's at this point but it has been un hooked from the battery for a while. I got the truck as a not running if you fix this you can have that trade. Hoping to make it worth more then scrap

Update. Borrowed a buddys autel scan tool comes up with 175-185 rpm when cranking. Still lost.

Last edited by David Cook; June 3rd, 2020 at 5:57 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 98 Silverado 5.7, injectors not getting pulse?