Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

98 silverado transmission

Old March 5th, 2014, 9:25 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 silverado transmission

I screwed up! Replaced my radiator the other day and must have lost a lot of transmission fluid. Drove to work just fine then going home third gear stated slipping. Checked the fluid level and was very low so I added Lucas slip stop to top it off but third gear just wont catch. Reverse, first and second are fine and there is no trans fluid in the radiator. I know a diagnosis over the internet is hard but what should I expect to hear from a mechanic? Parts, rebuild, new transmission? thanks
Old March 7th, 2014, 7:30 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you top off trans with it idling in park on a level surface? Are you 100% sure that its full? You will get a lot of false readings on the dipstick immediately after adding fluid due to residual tranny fluid in the dipstick tube.
And dont bother with the tranny in a can crap, just add the correct fluid. If it is slipping, nothing in a can is going to replace the missing friction materials on the clutches.