Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

98 silverado won't start now

Search this Thread

Old July 20th, 2012, 9:04 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update, I went to start it yesterday for the first te in about 5 days, the battery sounded weak when it started but it started up fine. I went to start it this morning and it's doing the same thing it did when I started this thread. I don't get it, I charged the battery and had the starter tested last weekend and both came out good. Started right up when I put the battery and starter back in..now it's doing the same thing..here's a video..
Old July 20th, 2012, 11:57 AM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Is there a dust cover around the fly wheel you can remove? If so, remove it, and with a pry bar manually engage the starter bendix. See where or how it is engaging the gears on the fly wheel. Starter might need to be shimmed. You need to do this soon as to avoid damage to the fly wheel.
Old July 20th, 2012, 12:56 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by kevinkpk
Is there a dust cover around the fly wheel you can remove? If so, remove it, and with a pry bar manually engage the starter bendix. See where or how it is engaging the gears on the fly wheel. Starter might need to be shimmed. You need to do this soon as to avoid damage to the fly wheel.
Yes, I can see if I can remove it.

What do you mean by shimming the starter?
Old July 20th, 2012, 2:43 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

The bolts that hold the starter to the bell housing may need a shim or two bettween the housing, and the starter. I have one somewhere, but cannot find it to get a pix for you. This isn't saying is your problem, but it sounds like it. You will have to manually pull the bendix to see where it meshes gear to gear with the flywheel.
Old July 20th, 2012, 3:36 PM
CF Beginner

Default Alternator?

You could check to see if the alternator is charging the battery up at all.If the battery isn't holding a charge and it tested good that would be the first thing I would look at.
Old July 20th, 2012, 4:31 PM
CF Beginner

Jb1123- It sounds a lot like your alternator is not Charging the battery. I have read the entire post and even from the beginning, it was my gut feeling. It is summer time and we see the highest rate of Alternator failure during this time. When you said you went and had the battery charged and it started fine was the first big indicator. If you have a volt meter you can test the alternator on the truck, but the best way to test the alternator is to take it into a company that has an alternator testing machine. I never like to recommend taking anything into Auto Zone or Checker espesially an alternator or starter. Yes they have a machine but if the tech does not test it right, you will get inaccurate results. I get customers all the time that bring me an alternator that Auto Zone said was bad and when I test it, it works fine or the other way around. If you tell me where you are located I could recommend you to a place, or if your dealership has a alternator tester,you could take it there, but testing an alternator OFF the truck is the way to go! See if you have bad wires or loose wires and you take it to Auto Zone or test it yourself with a multi-meter, it will say the alternator is bad, when in fact it is just a wire. If you take it off and have it tested under a controlled environment(good battery, good wires, ect), you'll get the best results. Hope this helps and if you would like to talk to one of our guys over the phone regarding your matter please call us toll free at 877-224-5258 or live help chat at www.AlternatorPros.com, you can ask to talk to Kris or Steve and they could walk you though testing it yourself if you need help!

Last edited by Alternator Pros; July 20th, 2012 at 5:08 PM. Reason: mis-spelling and forgot to leave url for live help chat