Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

99 Silverado fuel pump stuck on

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2012, 5:46 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Silverado fuel pump stuck on

Hi there, I am new to this site. I have a 99 Silverado 2500 6.0 with 66,000 miles. I am looking for any suggestions on this problem. I came out to drive my truck this morning and started the engine. I immediately noticed a humming that I hadn't heard before. I drove the truck a short distance with the continued humming. I pulled over turned off the motor and took the key out. The humming was still there and louder than ever. I immediately turned around for home and took the truck back. Once home, I turned the motor off again and climbed under the truck and it's coming from the fuel tank. I disconnected the battery cable so as not ti kill the battery. I looked up online and found that most likely it was the fuel pump relay stuck on. I immediately went to parts store and installed a new one. It is still humming without the key even on! I disconnected the battery cable again. What is next????? Thanks.
Old May 13th, 2012, 6:25 PM
CF Monarch

Received 336 Likes on 317 Posts

Did you check to see if the humming was there when the relay was out? Check the wiring for shorts. Look for any frayed wire or bare wire that may be touching something else. Could be anywhere from the fuse box back to the fuel pump.
Old May 14th, 2012, 8:20 AM
CF Beginner

Ok, new info. I was totally wrong. Yes, the humming was on when the relay was out. It is not the fuel pump, but it is the ABS pump. I did end up unplugging it, so it has stopped. Any ideas what has caused this? What it will cost to fix? Is it bad for the truck for me to drive it unplugged? I realize that my ABS is now non functioning but the brakes seem to be working fine anyway........
Old May 14th, 2012, 8:22 AM
CF Beginner

I may repost this with new title so as to maybe get so more opinions from people with this experience.