Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

99 Silverado: rear rotors... freakin backing plate!

Search this Thread

Old January 6th, 2010, 3:27 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool 99 Silverado: rear rotors... freakin backing plate!

So my son and I share a little Q-time over the holidays. "Come on, Son. Lend me a hand to install new rotors on the truck." The fronts went fine. Took it for a spin; no problem. Next day: put the rear end up on jack-stands, take wheels off, bend the ratchet taking off the calipers, but they all come off. Now the rotors. Not so easy this time. Following Haynes book; slack off adjuster nut under the driver's side door. Star wheel adjusted to the smallest (all the way in). Still insanely tight, but manage to get them off. Backing plate is rusted and flaking off. Most of the passenger side plate falls off into my hand. Both brake shoes are worn out. New ones on order. I read there's a recall on the adjuster spring for the shoes, but the fellow at G.M. says I need to have the truck looked at by them if they're going to pay for the part. I invite him and his mechanic over for coffee and a do-nut, and to have a quick look at my truck that's up on jack stands while he's here. He declines.
Anyway, I want to remove the corroded backing plates, and replace them with new ones. It looks like I need to remove the axles, which I am a little worried about attempting. Does anyone know the procedure for this, specifically and in great detail? Alternatively, is there a different fix for this problem? Perhaps not installing the mickey-mouse brake shoes inside of the "hat-rotor" is an option. If so, has anyone done this? Again, if so, how does it affect the vehicle? If driving mainly on roads, how necessary are the backing plates anyway? My plan is to do it all the right way, but I am interested in alternatives. Any ideas and experiences with this system are appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by knucklebust; January 6th, 2010 at 11:31 PM. Reason: add some pics
Old January 7th, 2010, 12:28 AM
CF Beginner

Post Pics of backing plates, hubs, etc.

This should show pics of the two rear hub assemblies, calipers and rotors off, and corroded/disintegrated brake-backing plates. I want to replace the backing plates, and am looking for detailed directions of how to do it. If (and let me stress this part again...IF) the axles do, indeed, need to come out, has someone gone through this before? And if so, what are the steps I need to take?
Images with rotors and calipers removed: 99 Silverado; 4X4, Z71, LT, 5.3liter
Pics # 1,#2,#3 - passenger side
Pics #4, #5 - driver's side

Thanks,

Doug
Attached Thumbnails 99 Silverado: rear rotors... freakin backing plate!-rotor_1.jpg   99 Silverado: rear rotors... freakin backing plate!-rotor_2.jpg   99 Silverado: rear rotors... freakin backing plate!-rotor_3.jpg   99 Silverado: rear rotors... freakin backing plate!-rotor_4.jpg   99 Silverado: rear rotors... freakin backing plate!-rotor_5.jpg  

Old January 8th, 2010, 8:27 AM
CF Active Member

I have never done this job but did a google search on it here is a link for the answer i got.
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Chevrolet_..._BACKING_PLATE

and here
http://www.automotivehelper.com/topic166403.htm
Old January 8th, 2010, 11:42 AM
CF Senior Member

just a starting point.....not completly sure on your app but this is a standard corp 10.

after you drain the fluid should see this!
right in the middle there is a pinon shaft(shiny)

next spin the carrier untill you see this
this is the pinon shaft lockscrew,unscrew this and slide the pinon shaft up or down whatever is easier

after shaft is out of the way you should have room to slide each axle inwards a bit exposing the c clip @ the end of each axle(do both sides the same)

remove the c clip and slide the axle shaft out

Last edited by myotherchevyisablazer; January 8th, 2010 at 1:11 PM.
Old January 9th, 2010, 2:44 AM
CF Beginner

Default thanks for the help

Thanks myotherchevyisablazer. The pics are helpful. I'll be moving on this project as soon as the rain lets up. I'll post again after I get through it (unless I get into a jamb).
Old January 9th, 2010, 7:17 AM
Super Moderator
Ride of the Month
May 2009

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice post Red, pics are worth a thousand words.
Old January 9th, 2010, 8:39 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by mudmaniac
Nice post Red, pics are worth a thousand words.
Amen to that, brother. Thanks again Red.