Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

ABS problems

Search this Thread

Old February 19th, 2012, 8:21 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS problems

I have a 2001 silverado where the ABS engages during low speed stops(under 15mph) in dry conditions. I almost rear ended someone in a drive through by letting the truck roll under idle. Could it be bad wheel sensors?
Old February 20th, 2012, 9:01 AM
CF Beginner

It could be a dirty sensor, if u take the sensor out u have to be super careful or ull b buying a new one
Old February 20th, 2012, 9:29 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

check the wheel bearing/hub assembly. If there is alot of play the wss will send false wheel speed data to the ebcm.
Old August 15th, 2012, 5:14 PM
CF Beginner

Its easier to just pull the 10 amp fuse for the ABS from the fuse box. You'll lose your cruise control also but its better than rear-ending someone. I have been searching for some way to "jumper out" the sensors on the front wheels but haven't been successful yet.
Old August 16th, 2012, 6:01 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by bdobschasr
I have been searching for some way to "jumper out" the sensors on the front wheels but haven't been successful yet.
what are you trying to do? "Jumpering out" (not sure what that is) the sensor would do what exactly.
Old August 18th, 2012, 7:01 PM
CF Veteran

I really don't get people sometimes, they spend millions of dollars designing these systems for safety and then you have mr. joe blow always messin with it and trying to disable it, then they really jack something up and get pissed they have to pay a shop to put humpty dumpty together again.

to answer the original post yes it could be a sensor or as mentioned a loose bearing, if the bearings aren't loose you could try cleaning the sensors as suggested but if its dropping signal bad enough to cause the ABS to kick in the sensor is probably shot
Old August 29th, 2012, 4:45 PM
CF Beginner

Joe Blow wouldn't have to try to disable a safety system if Joe Engineer and the billion dollar corporation that he works for would own up to a poor design at best and come up a fix that didn't cost an arm and a leg. The "jumper" that I refer to is to try to get the sensor the 3 or so volts that its looking for from somewhere else. By the way I happen to love my Chevy truck and wouldn't own anything else. This anti-loc issue just tweaks my melons!
Old August 30th, 2012, 9:28 PM
Super Moderator

to the op. most of the time its the wss harness or hub itself. If you can't test it and want to guess; the wss harness is way cheaper and easier to replace.
Old August 31st, 2012, 9:36 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by bdobschasr
Joe Blow wouldn't have to try to disable a safety system if Joe Engineer and the billion dollar corporation that he works for would own up to a poor design at best and come up a fix that didn't cost an arm and a leg. The "jumper" that I refer to is to try to get the sensor the 3 or so volts that its looking for from somewhere else. By the way I happen to love my Chevy truck and wouldn't own anything else. This anti-loc issue just tweaks my melons!
when you find a way to "jumper" a signal thats generated by magnetic fields let me know...heres a hint its not DC voltage
Old September 3rd, 2012, 9:11 AM
CF Beginner

I have a similar problem.... * I Had an issue where my ABS was kickin in sometimes whenever I stepped on the brake pedal and other times just coming to a stop at the last few inches. And braking while backing up it was even worse. Felt like ABS but it was sometimes one slight thud and other times many but not in a unison timing. Replaced all front hardware from the master cylinder on. It cured 75% of the times this would happen. Checked the rear breaks and they were in bad need of adjustment, cut down the issue another 10%. Here's the thing... Plenty of high pedal strength, Stops without any issue. Only happens now at the last 6 inches of the truck moving before a compete stop and then I get one small Thud and then the pedal decreases towards the floor about 1/2". The pedal btw is at 2/3rds when depressed and stays there until the last few inches... literally only the last few inches, then I get the thud with a 1/2" drop in pedal. Now my mechanic and myself are scratching heads.... all the braking components are working with zero leaks! Any ideas of what this could be? This is on my 97 GMC K1500 5.7L 4x4 PU Thank You in Advance!