Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

ABS Sensors

Search this Thread

Old February 16th, 2010, 11:13 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS Sensors

Hi! New Chevy owner here - former Ford guy.
I saw several posts about the ABS & brake lights coming on randomly & it seems like a good 1st step is to clean the ABS sensors & check the fuses.
The fuses are good, I just need a little help on locating the ABS sensors to unplug and clean them.
I have a 2000 Silverado LT 5.3L V8. Quite a step up from the little Ranger I used to drive huh??
haha...
Thanks guys, glad to be here.
Old February 16th, 2010, 11:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

welcome to the forum. this place has a lot of useful info and is full of helpful people. the abs sensors are behind your brakes. it is the only wiring harness in the area of the brake assembly. good luck.
Old February 17th, 2010, 1:54 PM
CF Beginner

here's an idea, probably not a good one but...
If i pull the ABS fuse will that get rid of the lite until i can go to a shop and get the sensors cleaned and codes ran?
I dont have the space to pull the tire off myself. Would it be possible to get to the sensor w/o removing the tire?
Old February 17th, 2010, 2:35 PM
CF Beginner

Welcome ! follow the the wire the comes out behind the brake assy ( mine ran up to the frame rail) should be a quick disconnect there to just unplug..

i got a 98 K1500 my ABS light sensor came on back a few yrs ago, didnt pull the fuse out just unplugged it for the time being untill i got get more technical w/ the problem (sorry cant recall if the light went off tho ) but my problem ended up being a wheel bearing in the hub, what happens the bearing starts going and throws the sensor off.. PITA job but did it myself put it back together and solved the light problem.. its a sealed bearing on the 98's and have to get the complete bearing/sensor.. Hope you have better luck then me!! not saying your problem but been told a common problem w/ the ABS lights coming on in the Chevys,im sure some guys on here can vouge the same..

PS Thanks for getting rid of your ford!!! lol
Old February 17th, 2010, 6:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can turn your wheel all the way to either side whichever gives more space for you to see the sensor