Go Back   Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums > Current Chevy Trucks, SUV's, Crossovers & Vans > Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by: Bakliner

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2008, 09:37 AM

Default AFM and Aftermarket Exhaust

Hey Guys. I'm new to the forum. I just picked up an 08 z71 with the 5.3 afm. I absolutely love this truck but the exhaust note is much to mild for my taste. Has anyone actually installed a FM 40 (or anything for that matter)with this engine? I have seen where Corsa has an exhaust designed to combat the v4 issue, but I would guess it probably wouldn't have the tone I'm looking for. I want to get this issuetaken care of stat.

Also I have been shopping cai systems and tb spacers. I think this forum has convinced me to give S&B a try for the cai. I am not overly mechanically inclined, although I'm not ignorant. How difficult of an installation are these? Any suggestions on websites to order from?

Thanks for the help!
Register today for free or log-in if already registered to remove this ad!
Old 02-17-2008, 11:56 AM

Default RE: AFM and Aftermarket Exhaust

hey welcome to the forum, umm not to sure on this one. i know someone on here will be able to help you out soon.
Old 02-17-2008, 04:16 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum!!! You may want to do a search on the Exhaust, I believe that there have been a few threads on that topic (exhaust on an engine with active management). The S&B CAI shouldn't take more than a 1/2 hour to install, simple tools, pretty straight forward.

Old 02-19-2008, 04:15 AM

My buddy has a super 40 dumped on a 5.3 with afm, sounds great!
Old 02-19-2008, 06:25 AM

What about when the active fuel management kicks in?
Old 02-19-2008, 07:07 PM

I seriously can't find anything definitive about this. Even the people who have put on the Corsa exhaust designed for afm arent happy. I am just going to say screw it and try out the super 40's as long as my exhaust guy can do it w/o having to remove the spare tire. I'll let you guys know how it sounds. I guess if it is really bad I'll just try something different in a couple months.

Old 02-20-2008, 05:33 AM

I think you should talk to the dealer as to how it can be left permanantly in performance mode!!!
Old 02-20-2008, 05:33 AM

I think you should talk to the dealer as to how it can be left permanantly in performance mode!!!
Old 02-20-2008, 08:34 PM

Thats not a bad idea, seeing as it doesn't do sh*t for gas mileage anyway. I've seen a couple custom tunes that offer the option of turning it off. Also a guy at a shop here told me he could install a pda set up that would allow me to turn off on demand. I'm not sure how much I want to start screwing with all of the factory presets but a little more research might be warranted
Old 02-21-2008, 09:23 PM

Ive also heard that through a custom programmer that you can turn it off. may want to talk to the guys at www.troyerperformance.com they do customes for gm and ford they might be able to help.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:23 PM

Tags
2008, 2009, active, affect, afm, aftermarket, chevrolet, chevy, exhaust, forum, fuel, gm, management, silverado, system