Go Back   Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums > Current Chevy Trucks, SUV's, Crossovers & Vans > Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by: Bakliner

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2008, 07:15 PM

Default Aiming the headlights

Hello.
Whenever I'm driving at night in my 2003 Silverado, I get flashed a lot. I've noticed that the lights are just aimed too high for low-beams (part of it may have to do with my truck sitting a little higher than normal). I looked in the manual for how to aim the headlights, but unlike my Cobra's manual, it doesn't mention anything about it.. or at least not that I could find. I took a very brief look under the hood but didn't see anything that might help me out.
Can someone explain to me how to do this?
Thanks.

2003 1500HD 6.0
Register today for free or log-in if already registered to remove this ad!
Old 11-15-2008, 07:19 PM

Default RE: Aiming the headlights

I am pretty sure they are not adjustable. I could be wrong as I have been wrong b4. Just ask my wife!!

2006 Chevy Silverado Z71 5.3 4x4
Old 11-15-2008, 07:57 PM

Haha
well I'm going to hope for someone to prove you wrong
They're aimed pretty harshly [8D]
Old 11-15-2008, 08:35 PM
Super Moderator

You could have the dealer check them.

Old 11-15-2008, 09:06 PM
CF Senior Member

there should be 2 torx head screws, on either side of the upper headlight, one almost right below the headlight fixture (forgot the proper name, sorry) and one recessed much deeper into it. one controls up/down, one does sidewise. park in front of your garage door, maybe 25 feet away, and do it.
if you have OEM setup and your lights are pointing high, batcha your rear shocks are tired and rear end sagged.

dude, you sound sort of freacking out with that truck. all kinds of piddly stuff going. what did you buy it for?

DON'T FIX IT IF IT AIN'T BROK;
IF IT'S BROK, FIX IT RIGHT AWAY.
Old 11-15-2008, 10:01 PM

Thanks, I'll give that a try in a bit.

You're right, I am pretty OCD sometimes.
But maybe you understand.. once you get a new toy, you just want to make it better any simple way you can. I guess I wouldn't consider myself as freaking out, but I admit I may be making big deals about nothing.

I bought this as a work truck really. After the purchase (about $16k), I went out and bought a Boss plow. I'm looking forward to a heavy winter. And also some hauling, but nothing major. I didn't intend on getting a flashy truck, but I saw this and loved it (plus it's an HD so that's probably better suited for the plow).
Old 11-15-2008, 11:59 PM

It works. I don't know why I didn't think to try that one..
Thanks.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:27 PM
CF Senior Member

because it did not look like an adjustment screw. i was amazed myself. GM has some sort of a fetish on torx bolts and nuts.
you welcome, glad it worked.
hey, out of kicks, find that long rod that lays flat on top of the headlight housing. then turn it towards you and pull up and out. the whole entire headlight comes out. sweet! so do marker/DRL lights below. very clever.

Old 11-17-2008, 11:39 PM

Haha yeah it's an interesting design.. My first post on this forum was regarding replacing the daytime lights.. I had trouble getting the bulb out so I asked for help. It's been so cold recently though I think I'll wait until spring to try again.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:39 PM
CF Senior Member

Quote:
ORIGINAL: BigThermometer

Haha yeah it's an interesting design.. My first post on this forum was regarding replacing the daytime lights.. I had trouble getting the bulb out so I asked for help. It's been so cold recently though I think I'll wait until spring to try again.
no need to. there's a white plastic clip on the side of DRL assembly. you just pry it with a flathead, and the whole piece comes out. you might need to flash some light into the gap to see it.
as of the main headlight assy, i found it by pure accident. i'm like Cramer - if there's a lever or a button, i'll pull or push it. so i was standing there staring at that rod and then just sort of yenked it out - and cought headlight right on time, as it popped out. so i learned.
what you'll find about this truck that it is ****ty made, but easy access to most of all. except the fuel tank, i've heard. oh, yeah, and theATF pan removal..... yeah, that was sweet dreams indeed.[] otherwise, as far as you have set of oversized wrenches and torx heads - u good.

Old 11-18-2008, 05:39 PM

Tags
2000, 2003, adjusting, adjustment, aiming, chevy, equinox, headlamps, headlight, headlights, screw, silverado, suburban, trailblazer, z71