Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old August 10th, 2015, 11:27 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Alarm goes off when unlocking with the key

Search this Thread

Old November 12th, 2012, 9:10 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alarm goes off when unlocking with the key

I have a 2009 Silverado and my remote recently stopped working. I replaced the battery as I thought that would be the issue but the remote still does not work. Does anyone have any input on this?

Also since I am not able to unlock my truck with the remote I need to use the key. When I unlock the door with the key the alarm begins to go off until the truck is started with the key it seems. Has anyone had these issues?

Thanks for any input!
Old November 14th, 2012, 7:14 PM
CF Senior Member

Well I am not sure for the remote not working, but here is an idea for the next time you go to open your doors with the key. I have a 99 and if I unlock with key and i guess not unlock it all the way because I am in a hurry it will go off, but if I take a second and make sure to fully turn the key the alarm will not go off. My suggestion to you is make sure you turn key all the way because maybe you are not completely unlocking the door and that is what is tripping the alarm. Also, does it do every time and have you tried passenger door?
Old November 15th, 2012, 10:27 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> sween22,

I'm sorry you are experiencing this issue with your vehicle. The issue with the remote keyless entry may be related to a problem with the internal components of the remote. Another possibility is that the remote needs to be relearned.

This is just a suggestion, not a diagnosis. I recommend consulting with a certified technician for an official diagnosis.

If you have additional questions, please feel free to contact me privately.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old February 10th, 2020, 3:25 PM
CF Beginner

Default Key Fob

Originally Posted by sween22
I have a 2009 Silverado and my remote recently stopped working. I replaced the battery as I thought that would be the issue but the remote still does not work. Does anyone have any input on this?

Also since I am not able to unlock my truck with the remote I need to use the key. When I unlock the door with the key the alarm begins to go off until the truck is started with the key it seems. Has anyone had these issues?

Thanks for any input!
What I have found is the soldered connections within the key fob crack causing the key fob to go bad. You can re-solder them or just go on Amazon and get new ones for less than $20 for most types. Don't bother going to a dealer and paying way more than you need to. Also you can find YouTube tutorials showing how to reprogram your exact key fob.