Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Antilock causing rear wheel to lock

Search this Thread

Old June 3rd, 2013, 4:51 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Antilock causing rear wheel to lock

I've got a little issue with my '98 K1500, for an issue that seems to have sprung up over time.

The back story: The truck had the RF wheel bearing replaced about 10 months ago, and the antilock sensor must not have been connected correctly because one day the antilock pump started running for no reason, then stopped and the antilock light came on.

The shop's solution: New antilock sensor, and bleed the antilock unit.

Forming problems after this: When I would start up the truck, within a couple seconds after starting motion (forward) the antilock pump would run for just about half a second. I do not remember this happening, before the antilock sensor was replaced and the antilock unit bled.

Problems increasing: About 3 months ago, I felt the brakes start to grab for a short second upon leaving a parking spot, and then everything was fine.

The real bugger: Sometimes, one wheel will completely lock up upon leaving the parking spot. It is always the passenger rear wheel. If I let the truck come to a stop, and push in the brake pedal really hard once I am stopped, I can feel what seems to be a sudden "release" and the brake pedal goes down a little bit.

Sometimes after that, it is just fine. Other times, I have to run it through that stopping and pressing in the brake pedal hard cycle a few times. It eats up time, and could potentially be a huge safety hazard on the road.

I have noticed, that when I leave my parking spot, and hear the antilock pump run for a short second, I do not have wheel lock-up problems. When I do not hear the pump run is when there are problems. I've also noticed the problem happens a lot more when it is humid out or has been raining, although that may just be when I get mad enough at it to remember.

Anyyyyy insight? I'm not tacking this one myself - it's going to a shop, probably in the next few days - but could anyone sorta point me in some sort of direction of what's going on, what needs to be fixed, or if my observations of the problem are even correct?

Thanks!