Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Any Silverado Experts?

Search this Thread

Old March 9th, 2012, 1:28 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any Silverado Experts?

First I just want to say that Im a long time member on a Firebird forum, so I know it can be just a little bit annoying when someone joins, demands answers to their questions, and never replies or gets back on again. Thats not what this is.

Iv had a Firebird for 4 years and Im pretty good with her. Before that I drove my families '88 silverado so I dont have much experience with these trucks but two weeks ago I bought an '86 just because I love the old school.

So now my question (short and sweet): Its a 350 with a quadrajet. Shes dead on the side of the road right now. My carb seems to be feeding gas but I dont appear to be getting spark. She was doing perfect, all eight cylinders, no hesitation. Then just died. Should I be looking around in my distributer? The wires before the distributer?

Any help is very much appreciated. Iv been lurking these forums for a few weeks and now I have a reason to join haha blessing in disguise I guess.
Old March 9th, 2012, 4:55 PM
CF Active Member

As long as you let us know for sure what was wrong when you figure it out id be glad to help. however you were right with where to start dist. cap,rotor, and coil. it doesnt happen very often but i have a friend that bought an old dodge and did the same thing. turns out the dist. cap was just old and brittle and it ended up just breaking we replaced the cap plugs wires and rotor and it ran fine. hope this helps
Old March 9th, 2012, 6:02 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check that fuse link down at the starter.

Allan
Old March 10th, 2012, 9:28 PM
CF Beginner

I appreciate the help guys. It turned out to be the same problem that I constantly had with my '88 Silverado. A fried engine control module. My trucks always seem to chew those like gum.