Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Anyone else had their caliper bracket bolts come lose?

Search this Thread

Old January 22nd, 2012, 12:03 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone else had their caliper bracket bolts come lose?

I believe I was extremely lucky today, I got up this morning and decided to take a random trip, very early I started hearing rattling so I kept checking the front 1st thought was the diff drop brackets checked over and over never saw anything obvious... I left Virginia Beach and went 220 miles to DC (What a sh*thole) So I drove 40 milesfurther to Baltimore was going to stay the night but my truck wouldnt fit in a Garage so I decided to come home... well after 500+miles I got to the exit 2 blocks from home and my brakes locked up, The caliper bolts had come lose and 1 had fallen out so in instance no biggie I took the caliper off taped a ratchet in between the pads and limped home however if this had happened on I95 @80mph I coulda been killed or atleast ****ed my truck up bad. The thing is I put gobs of locktight on these and I torqed the hell out of em so I dont really see why all four would come lose...Is it the angle, the RCX design, or the 65psi tires on bumpy yankee roads? This was kinda scary, 2morro I will fab up lock in place washers but is this common Ive never seen it happen before?
Old January 22nd, 2012, 7:28 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Caliper bolts have a proper torque spec. when installing them ( in a good manual ) If you over torqued them they could have been stripped out and the loctite finally gave out...Just a thought.