Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old July 22nd, 2015, 2:47 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Wheels and Tire
Print Wikipost

bad wheel bearings

Search this Thread

Old November 5th, 2007, 3:25 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bad wheel bearings

I just had both of my front wheel bearings replaced on my 2002 1500 Silverado. I have a major problem with this due to the fact that the truck only has 49,000 miles on it. Furthermore, you have to purchase the whole hub assembly becaused the bearing is sealed and supposedly "lubed for life". BS. This whole ordeal started with me getting new tires. I was hearing a constant roar coming from the front that would get worse and pulsate through the steering wheel with a right hand turn. I just assumed at 49,000 miles it was just time for some new tires. 4 new tires, same noise. Next step was to check alignment. Went to the alignment shop and the serviceman told me the front right bearing was shot. Sure enough, went out there and there was about a quarter to half inch of play in the wheel when wobbled top to bottom. I was told the bearing is a sealed unit and the whole hub had to be replaced at a cost of $375.00. I wanted to get a second opinion so I took it to my dealer that I have always had real good luck with. They checked it and said the same thing. They replaced it for $515.00 and told me that it was from me hitting pot holes or curbs. ARRRGH!! a.) I bought a truck not a VW bug. b.) No I didn't. Got the truck back. Same noise. Went back to the dealer and asked them didn't they road test the truck when they were done? Uhh. blank stare. Truck back on the rack. Now they find that the other wheel bearing is bad. No play in the wheel, but it sounds like it has gravel in it when you spin it with the caliper off. Another $400. I guess they felt sorry for me, so they knocked off $115. Again they told me this is normal wear and tear and is probably due to me hitting pot holes and curbs. Alignment yes. Destroying wheel bearings no. Not to mention the fact that I cant recall ever hitting anything out of the ordinary that would make you think "Whoa, hope that didnt mess anything up". A interesting side point is the fact that I still have a lot of the original brake pad left on the front, so basically they are telling me that the wheel bearings should wear out before the break pads!! Now I am in the process off dealing with GM customer service to get my money back. Has anybody else had trouble with there bearings? I wonder if the recall involving the ABS sensor in the front hub could also be affecting the bearings. Seems to me if water can get into the hub to affect the sensor, it could also be getting to the bearings.
Old November 5th, 2007, 6:40 PM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: bad wheel bearings

thats nota common problem ive heard of. infact i think the truck just gotcrappy bearing installed at the factory or something. sorry for all the bad luck. that sucks. and bearings are never "lubed for life" so whoever told you that be on drugs.
Old November 5th, 2007, 9:13 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: An89Chevy

thats nota common problem ive heard of. infact i think the truck just gotcrappy bearing installed at the factory or something. sorry for all the bad luck. that sucks. and bearings are never "lubed for life" so whoever told you that be on drugs.
Of those bearings that are lubed for life, some of them just have shorter lives than others.
Old February 16th, 2008, 7:04 PM
CF Beginner

My 2006 express van has the same problem, only 38k miles on it. I think it's pretty rediculous, I'm the only one that drives it and I'm not hard on it. So far I've had the control arm replaced, rear xmission seal, mulitple engine codes popping, water leak from a hose front right of the radiator, other than that I like my duramax, get great mileage for a 1ton. I hate the look of the other vans on the market and I've always been a Chevy guy, but I'm starting to get a little bummed by the quality lately........
Old February 16th, 2008, 8:56 PM
CF Active Member

y awheel bearings suck [:'(]i used top have a dodge dakota r/t and the bearings went out, they wanted 275 just for the part, ha ha ha good thing i used to work at a dodge dealer ship at the time, never had to pay for any parts.. i hate the way big dealerships work we would get over on them all the time because basically the technicians run that place, but even on dodge the have the whole sealed assembly and they sometimes go bad anywhere from 40 to 60 k. sorry to hear about tha bad luck tho, by the way, did it fix the noise?
Old May 24th, 2008, 2:03 PM
CF Beginner

yeah so i def have wayy more miles but im thinking the water had somethign to do with it on my truck as well. i began hearing that roar you sepak off after a rain here and was curious at to what it was so i took off both front wheels and saw nothing out of the ordinary (should have tried spinning them). i have also had a problem with the ABS and (my front right tire was the effected wheel) and sometimes when i was pulling into parking spaces and had to turn sharp it seemed as if i thought about touching the brake pedal the ABS would engage and then i would have to stand on it to combat and actually stop the truck. it has now seized up the brake and i am now waiting for the shop to get the part...oh yeah its a holliday weekend so i dont get it back till Tuesday!!